Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Video Game Review #438: Lego The Incredibles

Lego The Incredibles
PlayStation 4




Nostalgia Factor:

It's been a while since I've tackled a Lego game. Figured this game was as good as any to check out. I like the Incredibles movies, but I've only seen the first one two times, and the second one just one time - when it first came out in theaters. Suffice it to say, I don't remember them very well. I remember a baby that shoots lasers out of its eyes. I knew coming into this game that it better freaking let you play as a baby that shoots lasers from its eyes.

Last time I played a Lego game, I was somewhat burnt out on the Lego formula and gave the game a mediocre review score. Would Lego Incredibles meet the same fate? Mop Up Duty rolls forward into 2018.




Story:

I was a little confused when I first started playing this. The box says that the game covers the events of both movies, but the game began with events of the second movie. Because I remember the series so poorly, I had no idea what was going on. I thought I was remembering everything incorrectly. You can only imagine my confusion.

I don't know why they made the decision to do the story of the movies in reverse order (the sequel first, and the first movie second), but I have a suspicion it is because this game came out closer to the release of the second Incredibles movie, so the makers of the game probably figured people would want to play through the events of the new movie first.

In recent Lego tradition (and I use the word recent loosely), the game gives you an open world map you can explore when you don't feel like playing through the linear story mode. When roaming the map, you can take on quests and side missions to earn Lego blocks and unlock additional characters. Correct me if I am wrong, I don't believe it is necessary to do any of this extra stuff in order to finish the story missions.




Gameplay:

I think I say this every time I review a Lego game, but I'll say it again for clarity: if you've played any Lego-based video game out there, and I mean any of them, you'll be able to pick this one up and play it pretty easily. All of the basic controls and concepts are the same. X jumps. Square punches. Circle puts together blocks of Legos or uses a special attack if you hold it down. Triangle changes characters.

You run through stages, smashing things, collecting Lego pieces, fighting enemies, solving moderately challenging puzzles (don't laugh, but sometimes I get stuck), and unlocking bonus items. Generally people like to play through these games multiple times after you unlock all the characters, so you can get 100% of the items and secrets. I am not that hardcore. Once I finish the story mode, I'm out of there.

There are a few extra wrinkles in this game that separate it from other Lego games, but nothing too groundbreaking. There's a beam-shooting team up attack that is new, in addition to special moves and attacks that tie into your characters' super powers.

Oh, I suppose this as good a place to mention it as any: you do get to play as baby that shoots lasers out of its eyes. That is a win in my books.




Graphics:

The Incredibles is a movie series that lends itself very well to the visual style of Lego. The transition is seamless. The action on the screen captures the look and feel of a Pixar movie to perfection, but with a Lego twist. I can't say anything bad about this game's graphics. It really does look excellent.




Sound:

You can tell that a lot of effort was put into making both the game's video and audio presentation on par with that of the films. The music is fantastic. The voice acting is spot-on, although I'm not sure if all the original actors are back or not. The dad sure didn't sound like Craig T. Nelson (or as I always call him: Coach) to me! Frozone was questionable as well.




Overall:

Maybe it is just because I haven't played a Lego game in a very long time, but I didn't begin to feel that familiar Lego burnout as I played this game. Or maybe I'm not giving Lego Incredibles enough credit. Maybe it is simply a cut above the rest of the Lego games that have come out recently.

Whatever the reason, I had a pretty good time with this game. The Incredibles really lends itself to the Lego theme flawlessly. It's almost like this combination was meant to be. If you like Lego games, check this out. If you like The Incredibles, check this out. If you have kids, check this out. If none of these things apply to you, you aren't missing much if you decide to skip out on this. If you are a fan of these things, however, you are in for a treat.


THE GRADE: 
B


40th Birthday Mop Up Duty Celebration Tour:




1986:


1987:


1988:


1989:


1990:


1991:


1992:


1993:


1994:


1995:


1996:


1997:


1998:


1999:


2000:


2001:


2002:


2003:


2004:


2005:


2006:


2007:


2008:


2009:


2010:


2011:


2012:


2013:


2014:


2015:


2016:


2017:


2018:
Lego The Incredibles
(The review you are reading)


And up nest we move onto 2019 with:
The Outer Worlds


For a complete index of all my past posts and game reviews, click


No comments:

Post a Comment