Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Video Game Review #374: Mystic Warriors

Mystic Warriors
Arcade




Nostalgia Factor:

We’re up to 1993 now in my Mop Up Duty review tour. Little Danny boy was 11 years old and in the 6th grade back in 93. Jurassic Park and The Fugitive were the top films in the box office. I was playing things like Cool Spot, Eternal Champions, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors for the Sega Genesis. Aside from trying to keep myself out of the sights of my alcoholic and abusive stepfather, life was good.

I’ll tell you what I wasn’t doing in 1993: playing Mystic Warriors. In fact, I had never even heard of this game until earlier this year (spoiler alert: it’s 2022). The thing about it that caught my attention was the descriptor that this game was a spiritual successor to Sunset Riders. That was enough to immediately get my attention. I absolutely loved Sunset Riders, and I wanted more of it. In fact I was kind of irritated when I found out that it didn’t have any sequels. Well, here ya go Mr. Dan. Mystic Warriors. The closest thing you’ll ever see to a sequel to Sunset Riders.

Would the game be any good? Um, yes. But before I spoil too much for you, we should probably move on with the formal review.
 



Story:

I absolutely love this game’s cutscenes, but the story itself is quite unremarkable. You control one of five different ninja characters, who seem to be part of a resistance group fighting the evil Skull Enterprise. Depending on which character you pick, one of your team will be kidnapped by the enemy. You spend the rest of the game attacking the Skull and fighting to get your lost partner back. Spoiler alert: you save your partner, but the rescued ninja sacrifices his or herself in the escape attempt. The rest of the game consists of your group taking revenge on the Skull.




Gameplay:

It wouldn’t be terribly inaccurate to refer to this game as Sunset Riders with ninja stars. That’s basically what it is. For those of you who haven’t played that game (what are you doing, go play it now!), I will further explain.

This is a side scrolling 2D shooter. You control your ninja of choice. The basic goal of each stage is to make your way from the left side of the screen over to the right. Enemies will come at you from all angles, popping out of windows or taking shots at you while crouched behind barrels or boxes. Shoot them with your ninja stars. If you ever find yourself getting rushed by a group of enemies, pressing the attack button while in close will unleash a sword attack that does major damage and can hit multiple foes at a time. As you make your way to the right, you’ll uncover items such as power ups that increase the attack radius and speed of your weapons, or food that replenishes one bar of your health meter. Unlike Sunset Riders, this game gives you a health meter where your character can take three hits before dying. I’m very glad that one hit does not kill you in this game!

At the end of each stage is a boss. These bosses are bullet sponges with sometimes predictable/sometimes wild and random attack patterns. This is an arcade game where you’re supposed to die a lot and pump quarters into the machine, so often these fights simply turn into a war of attrition. 

While each stage follows the same basic formula, there are a few stages that offer something different. There’s a stage that takes place going downhill on skis, another one on a train. I mean, you’re still shooting enemies, moving around, and evading fire, but at least you aren’t walking around on the ground?




Graphics:

I am in love with this game’s graphics. As I mentioned before, the game’s storyline sucks. Even so, the cutscenes are still a joy to watch because of the artwork and the coloring involved. Just look at the screenshots I’ve posted.

Things look just as good when you’re actually playing the game, too. The 2D sprites look terrific. The animation is great. The stage design and the background graphics are downright stunning at times. This game truly is a Saturday morning cartoon come to life. If Sunset Riders and the C.O.W.-boys of Moo Mesa had a love child, it would look like this game.




Sound:

This is the one area of the review where I will be a debbie downer. I’m sure this game’s music is great, as most 90s Konami titles tend to have great music. I certainly didn’t have any complaints as I was playing through the game. But now that it’s over (and I played through this game twice for this review), I don’t remember a single thing about this game’s music. Same for the sound effects, too. I’m sure they are fine – because if they weren’t I would have noticed. But nothing special or memorable in the long run.


 

Overall:

You really can’t go wrong with Mystic Warriors. It has everything you’d want to see carried over from Sunset Riders, with its own unique flair thrown into the mix. It’s fun, it’s great to look at, and it also provides an excellent time if you are playing with other people. I won’t say it is as challenging as Sunset Riders, nor does it offer the same replay value that game does. But it is still really good.

A lot of people have never heard of this game, and that is a travesty. I myself had never heard of it until just this year, and it came out in 1993. If you have friends over and you want to impress them, turn this game on and let the good times roll. You won’t regret it. Overall this game didn’t leave the same impact on me that Sunset Riders did, but it is still a very good game. If you’re sleeping on this game, wake up! It is definitely worth your time.

 

THE GRADE:
B+


No comments:

Post a Comment