Thursday, November 25, 2021

Re-Review #15: Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
PlayStation


For my original review of this game, click
>HERE!<


I really had no intention of revisiting Resident Evil 3 anytime soon, but on my RetroPie I noticed that there was a Dreamcast version of the game. I fired it up on a whim, wanting to see if there were any major differences that set it apart from the PS1 version. Spoiler alert: there aren’t. Which is why I’m treating this as a re-review of the PS1 game. I guess there is one difference, but I would say it is minor. When you start a new game, you are offered a variety of different outfits to pick from. I ended up picking the classic Resident Evil 1 Jill outfit.

Looking back on my original review, I think I was a bit too harsh on this game. But in my old age I think I’ve finally accepted RE3: Nemesis as a good Resident Evil game. It’s better than Zero. It’s better than Code Veronica. I’d say of the classic games, it is only behind 1 and 2. Some of my original complaints I still agree with. I’d have loved to see multiple scenarios like in Resident Evil 2. Or even different playable characters to pick from that offered a slightly different quest each time you played. Resident Evil 3 is the first game in the series, from my recollection, to only give you one way to play the game. True, there are different paths or different decisions you can make that give you slightly different results mid-game, but what happens with the base story remains unchanged.




I have to say, after recently playing both Zero and Code Veronica – those games, while good, don’t match the classic feel of the original like this one does. As I played through Nemesis, I just kept thinking – man this game is SO good. I definitely didn’t appreciate it properly on past playthroughs. I gave it a C on my original review? That feels so blasphemous to me now. This is a very good game.

It’s definitely going to score a lot higher than a C this time around. I’ve been thinking lately of going through every game I have re-reviewed and coming up with an average score between the two. So if I give this game a B+ (which I’m gonna do), then the game’s average score would be a B-. I still think that’s too low for this game, but at least it would make up for the game getting a C the first time.





I’ll keep you posted. 

But yeah. Great game. The whole classic Resident Evil trilogy – the original game through this one – is fantastic and I hate that I’ve played and reviewed all of them now. Will there be re-reviews for 1 and 2 on the horizon?



Final Score:
B+



All the games I've taken a second look at:


No comments:

Post a Comment