Monday, August 15, 2022

400 Game Reviews: What An Accomplishment



400 game reviews. I did it. It hasn't even been a year since I hit 300, so this has definitely been one of the most productive stretches of my blogging "career" by far.

As always, let's break down some numbers.

I reached 300 game reviews on October 4, 2021. That was 315 days ago. So by the numbers, that means I've been pumping out game reviews at the pace of approximately one every three days since then. Definitely above my normal average, but overall not too surprising considering I've been shifting my focus more towards retro games with my Mop Up Duty review tour. Most retro games can be beaten in a day or two, whereas most modern games can take weeks to complete.

Speaking of Mop Up Duty, I've been able to add a whopping 53 games to my Listing of every video game I have ever played. The purpose of Mop Up Duty has been to expand my gaming horizons and play some games I have never played before, so it is definitely succeeding on that front. I've made my way from 1982 through the year 2000. Up next is 2001 through 2022. Due to the length of some of the "newer" games I will be playing soon, I likely will only be playing one or two games per calendar year as opposed to the more traditional two or three.

I created this blog on January 1, 2015. That was 2783 days ago. After reaching 400 game reviews, that means I've averaged about one review every seven days. 

My most reviewed video game console is still the PlayStation 4, with 66 overall game reviews for this system. When I hit 300 reviews last year, my count was at 59. So in that timespan I've only reviewed seven PS4 games, which is definitely down from the pace I had been on.

My next five most reviewed systems are as follows: Genesis with 44. PS3 with 43. Arcade with 40. NES with 35. PS1 with 29. Looking back at my "300 Game Reviews" post, the arcade wasn't even in my top 5, so it has definitely made the biggest leap here. Apparently I haven't reviewed a single PS3 game in that timeframe, as it is still sitting at 43 reviews. Womp womp. 

My most reviewed gaming franchises are:
13 games - Resident Evil
13 games - Batman
11 games - Star Wars
11 games - Sonic (caved in and counted Mean Bean Machine as a Sonic game)
11 games - Mario
8 games - Contra
8 games - Castlevania
8 games - Final Fantasy

What are some notable classics that I haven't tackled yet? Super Metroid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Mass Effect, Metroid Prime, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Portal, Final Fantasy Tactics, Far Cry 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild are a few that come to mind. Half-Life also comes to mind, but that's next up on my Mop Up Duty tour, so it won't be left out for long!

Some other games I've been wanting to play lately include Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Death Stranding, Landstalker, Mr. Bones, Vectorman 2, Policenauts, Blast Corps, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, and Punch-Out!! And this is in addition to continuing Mop Up Duty through 2022 and checking out a bunch of games I've never played before.

I can't wait! There's an endless supply of video games out there, and I want to play and review them all. It won't happen, but I can dream, eh?

Special thanks to anyone out there reading this blog. Aside from posting the links to my Facebook page whenever I finish a review, I haven't gone out of my way to promote it. If you are reading this, you're probably one of the few out there that are doing so. You are awesome. Hopefully you appreciate what I am doing here and you stick around.

If you're interested in past content, you can find a link to an index of all of my past blog posts below. 500 is my next major milestone. Hopefully you join me on my journey!




No comments:

Post a Comment