Monday, October 4, 2021

300 game reviews: a look back



I made it: 300 game reviews. What a great life accomplishment! Okay, you can stop laughing now.

To be honest with you, I wasn’t sure how long this would last as I have a notoriously short attention span. I started playing through my game collection and writing a review for each game I finished back in early 2015, which is over 6 years ago for anyone keeping track. And you know what? I still haven’t gotten tired of it. I’m going to keep going and going until I can’t go any further. 1000 reviews, 2000 reviews – you are going to have to pry the controller away from my cold, dead 90-year-old hands.

Until then, let’s just celebrate 300 in style as we break down some numbers.

This blog has been open for 2468 days. That averages out to a review every 8.2 days. Not too shabby. When you factor in my other blog posts (which increases my total from 300 to 408 when I count this one), the numbers show that I make a post every 6.05 days. It really doesn’t feel like I make a post that often, however my activity is generally pretty sporadic. I can go weeks or months without making a post and then knock out ten in a row. That’s just how averages work, people.

My most reviewed system is the PlayStation 4, with 59 game reviews. That’s pretty impressive considering technically the PS4 is the system that’s been in my possession the least amount of time compared to the other systems listed. Way to go, PS4! The PS3 is second with 43 reviews, the Genesis has 34, the NES has 27, and the PS1 has 21. So those are my 5 most reviewed systems. My least reviewed systems are the PC and the TurboGrafx-16 with only 1 review each. Womp womp.
 
Looking back at my “200th Game Review” post, my most reviewed systems at the time were the PS3 with 37 reviews, the PS4 with 33 reviews, the Genesis with 24, the NES with 17 and the PS1 with 16. So in my last 100 reviews, 26 of them were for the PS4, 6 were for the PS3, 10 were for the Genesis, 10 were for the NES, and 5 for the PS1. Interesting. I guess it is not too surprising I cranked out so many PS4 reviews seeing as how I had GameFly for several months during this time period and I took full advantage of the service to catch up on all the newer games I’d been neglecting.

The only system in my possession where I’ve reviewed 100% of the games I own for it is the Sega Saturn. I only own 10 Saturn games, and I’ve reviewed them all.

My most reviewed game franchises are:
11 games - Resident Evil
10 – Batman
10 – Star Wars
9 – Sonic (not counting Dr Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine as a Sonic game)
9 – Mario
7 – Tomb Raider
7 – Final Fantasy
7 – Kingdom Hearts
7 – Castlevania
7 - Contra

I’m thinking to even things out I’ll be playing a Sonic and a Mario game soon to get them to 10 reviews.

I think I’ve done a pretty good job playing through the “all time classics” in my game collection. Mario 3, Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII, Skyrim, etc. There are still some I haven’t tackled, however. Most notably: Super Metroid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Half Life, the Mass Effect series, The Metroid Prime Series, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Final Fantasy Tactics, and the Witcher 3. You can soon cross the Witcher 3 off that list, as I just started playing it about two weeks ago and I’m pretty deep into the game.

Other games I’ve been having the itch to play lately include: Sonic 3D Blast, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Castlevania Bloodlines, Blazing Lazers, Mega Man Legends, the Earthworm Jim games, Vectorman 2, Lunar: The Silver Star Story, Aliens vs Predator for the arcade, Paper Mario, Quake 2, The Legend of Dragoon, some of the early Doom games, and Punch-Out!! Will I actually play any of these games anytime soon? Who knows. My mind changes like the wind. Just look back to when I first started this blog. It was my goal to marathon review every Mega Man game in order and I only made it through two of them, a year between reviews. 

Last thing before I end this, I want to bring up how I’ve been emulating games the last few months. Prior to figuring out how to emulate, I was always severely opposed to the idea. I was going to play through the games in my collection, and then (and ONLY then) would I turn to emulation in order to track down all the games I didn’t have in my collection or never had a chance to play growing up. Sorry to disappoint you, but I am weak. As soon as I figured out how to emulate, it was game over for me. I was hooked. I still plan to make it through my collection, it’s just going to take a little longer now because of all the detours I’m finding myself taking lately (if you want an example just look at all the arcade beat ‘em ups I’ve reviewed in recent weeks).

I thought I would find myself taking a morally opposed stance against emulating, but when you factor in the age of these games and the fact that they aren’t making their creators any money anymore, I really couldn’t care less. Bring it on!

This brings me to my next announcement: I’ve ordered a RetroPie online. It comes loaded with basically every video game released before the year 2000 (excluding Saturn titles because they are so hard to emulate). That’s something like 50,000 different games. You have NO idea how excited I am for this. Every retro game I’ve ever wanted to play in my life, right there are my fingertips. It sounds too good to be true. But it’s happening. Oh yes. It’s happening.

Be prepared for lots of fun reviews for games and systems I’ve never had the chance to play, REAL soon. I can’t wait. Just remember, when I hit 1000 total games played in my life, I plan to rank them all from worst to best. I’m at 877. I’ve been planning this for a while now. The RetroPie could make it happen a lot sooner. I’m so stoked!

If you want a complete index of all my past game reviews, follow the link below. It's always been my hope that a like minded nerd like me would stumble upon this blog someday and be blown away by all the content I have posted. I haven't really gone out of my way to promote this blog, but if it can help keep even one person entertained it is all worth it!




No comments:

Post a Comment