Saturday, April 4, 2020

Video Game Review #225: Operation C

Operation C
Game Boy



Nostalgia Factor:

Well, here it is: history in the making. This is my first Game Boy review for this blog. Not only is this my first official review of a Game Boy title, this is actually the very first Game Boy title I've played and beaten from start to finish, period. All kinds of history being made today, folks.

Why did I choose now, the year 2020, to play my first Game Boy game? Simple, I have been playing through the Contra Anniversary Collection in order, and it was simply Operation C's time to shine. For the most part I've enjoyed all the Contra games to date, with the exception of Super Contra for the arcade. How would I feel about this one? Let's find out!




Story:

Does this game even have a story? I'm sure there is something written in Operation C's instruction manual, but as far as in-game prompts go, I don't think I was ever given an inkling of who I was or what I was supposed to be doing. I mean, it's a Contra game. I know I'm going to be shooting aliens and enemy soldiers. I guess the game's storyline isn't important in the long run. But still, it would have been nice if they'd at least made some kind of attempt at one.




Gameplay:

This is what is most important to a Contra game: not its graphics or its storyline but its gameplay. Much to my surprise, Operation C does a pretty decent job emulating the gameplay of the original NES Contra games. Your character controls exactly the same as he does on the home console. You run, you jump, you shoot, you collect weapons, you fight bosses, and you do your best to stay alive.

If you've played either of the NES games, nothing about Operation C should surprise you. The only thing Operation C does differently is its inclusion of 3D over the top view levels, kind of like what you see in Super C. Even that's not really a big surprise at all.

Even though the game does do a decent job emulating the feel of the original games, I can't help but feel that it falls a little bit short in its attempt. I have to applaud the effort, though. You can really tell that the makers of the game wanted this to be another standout title in the Contra series. And it almost is. Almost.

Perhaps it's the fact that the game is black and white. Perhaps it's the fact that a lot of these stages feel like rehashes of stages you've already seen in the series. Perhaps it's the fact that this game doesn't do anything to push the classic Contra formula to new heights. Perhaps it's the lack of creativity with the game's bosses as enemies. Try as this game might, it just can't match the awesomeness of Contra and Super C. If anything, it's a big step backward. Yes, Operation C was always going to be limited because it is a Game Boy game. Despite that setback, it still came very close to being a success in my mind. But it's lacking that certain something, that extra special little oomph that pushes it from being a decent game to a really good one.




Graphics:

There isn't much to say about this game's graphics. It looks just look a classic Contra game, but in black and white. This never got in the way as I played. I always had a clear idea of where I was, where I was going, and where the enemies were. Yeah the game isn't exactly pretty, but it's not like it is unplayable or anything either.

I do feel as if there is a certain lack of creativity that comes along with this game, though. The lack of color really makes things look drab and uninspired. The original Contra has so many standout stages, and a lot of that is due to the game's vibrant color scheme. Nothing stands out here. I can tell what they're trying to do with the design of each of the stages in this game, but it doesn't always work 100%. As far as graphics go, this is as bare bones of a Contra game as I've played to date. Again, this game is for the Game Boy so obviously it is going to be at a big disadvantage compared to everything else in the series. But that doesn't make my statements any less true.




Sound:

I can't knock Operation C for its music and sound effects. While it may not look like a home console-worthy version of Contra, it sure does sound like one. The music, the sound effects, everything sounds just as it does on the big screen. Again, this game doesn't really do anything original to contribute to the evolution of the series, it just kinda maintains the status quo. But that's fine. At least the people who made this game are consistent.




Overall:

I'm really torn on how I feel about this game. For a Game Boy title it does an admirable job bringing an NES-style Contra game to the small screen. If this was 1991 and I didn't have an NES, but I had a Game Boy, I probably would have loved this game. That's probably the only way anyone would have loved this game, though. It is so clearly inferior to its NES counterparts. I can't imagine owning all of these games and picking this one as my favorite. It just doesn't compute with me.

That said, this is still a relatively well-made game. If for some reason you are itching to play some Contra, this game will definitely scratch that itch. As far as gameplay goes, it plays the part. It sounds the part. It sort of looks the part. It kind of falls apart under intense scrutiny, however.

Sigh.

This is a decent game. I'll give it that. It definitely does NOT suck (cough cough I'm looking at you, Super Contra). But it doesn't stand out either. It's just kinda there. All in all you only get five stages to play, and none of them are very long. You can beat this in 25 minutes, easily. The other Contra games are short too, but I feel as if their iconic enemies and level design keeps you coming back more than this game does. I beat it solely for the purpose of writing this review, and I can't imagine ever coming back to it again.

So that's where I stand. This game is okay. I'm not going to waste your time or mine writing any more about it.


Final Score:
C-



Hey! While you are here, check out some of my other Contra reviews:
Contra (arcade)
Contra (NES)
Contra (NES re-review)


No comments:

Post a Comment