Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Video Game Review #212: Super C

Super C
Nintendo Entertainment System



Nostalgia Factor:

As big of a Contra fan as I was growing up, for some reason or another I never got around to playing its sequel, Super C. Several years ago, shortly before I started doing reviews, I purchased a physical copy of Super C for the NES. I played it, beat it, and put the game back on the shelf. I liked it, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as the original Contra in my opinion. Now I have purchased the Contra Anniversary Collection for the PlayStation 4, and Super C has once again found its way onto my radar of games to play.

Would my opinion on the game change the second time around, or would I still consider this game as playing second fiddle to its predecessor? Let's find out.




Story:

I don't know much about this game's story, and honestly I don't think it matters. You work your way through eight stages, fighting aliens all the way. At the end of the game you destroy the final boss, and your character flies into the sunset on a helicopter. The end.

Deep stuff.



Gameplay:

Not a whole lot has changed from the previous Contra game. Just look at the above screenshot. I wouldn't blame you if you thought that this WAS the original Contra.

There are eight stages. Most of them are of the side-scrolling variety. You start on the left side of the screen, making your way either up or to the right. There are a shit ton of enemies constantly appearing on the screen and attacking you at all times. You really have to be on your toes here, because one hit will kill your character. You get three lives and three continues. That's it. I never cheat in video games, but I hear that you can't even use the classic Konami code in this game. If you beat this game, it has to be on your own merits.

Just like in the original Contra, there are a variety of different guns to collect. If you die, you lose your weapon upgrade. You want to get the spread gun and hope to hang onto it as long as possible. It will make your life a lot easier... which you are going to need because this is a decently challenging game. I won't sit here and say it is the hardest game of all time, but it took me several attempts and a few hours of my time to beat this game. I thought it was a lot more difficult than the original Contra, and most people consider that to be a pretty hard game (although I don't). So take that however you may.

The only real change that Super C makes is its addition of overhead stages to the game. Gone are the hallway 3D-ish shooter segments from the original Contra. This game adds two over-the-top style levels for you to play. If I had to compare them to something else, I would say they are reminiscent of Guerilla War or Ikari Warriors. It also reminded me a bit of Thundercade (although you are not in a vehicle in this game).

I personally liked these new stages, as the 3D hallway stages are probably the thing I like the least about the original Contra.




Graphics:

This game's look is on par with its predecessor. If it looks any better, the difference is only marginal. That said, I do love the look of the game. It's sharp, colorful, and has its own uniquely Contra feel to it. I don't know how to put it into words, but let's just say I am a fan of this game's presentation.




Sound:

I'm just going to regurgitate what I said about the game's graphics here, too. Super C doesn't necessarily sound any better than its predecessor, but that isn't a bad thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That said, I don't think this game has as many catchy tunes as the first game did.




Overall:

I hate to keep comparing this game to the original Contra, but when you consider how much I love that game, you have to understand that I would hold its sequel to a high standard. This game looks like it easily could have been a continuation of the original Contra. Similar gameplay, similar graphics, similar music and sound effects. Even the difficulty level is similarly challenging.

That said, why don't I like this game as much as I did its predecessor? I don't have an easy answer for you. I grew up with the original game. I played it when I was five or six years old, and I have its stages and its bosses ingrained in my memory. Super C is good, sure, but without the nostalgia factor in its corner, it falls a little flat for me.

This is a very solid platforming game that has a lot going for it. I would recommend it to anyone that is interested in the genre. Just because I didn't like it as much as the original Contra doesn't mean I think the game sucks. This is a very good game. I just can't force myself to get too excited over it. Very good game? Absolutely. Excellent? An all-time classic? I can't in good conscience say yes.


Final Score:
B





If you liked my Super C review, please check out some of my other game reviews:













No comments:

Post a Comment