Saturday, November 30, 2019

Video Game Review #210: Contra

Contra
Arcade



Nostalgia Factor:

Believe it or not, I had never played the arcade version of Contra until just now. I am very familiar with the NES version of the game, as it was one of my childhood staples growing up. But the arcade version? Nope, never played it.

I didn’t think I’d ever get the chance to give it a try, but to my surprise it was on the Contra Anniversary Collection for the PS4, which I recently purchased. After playing and re-reviewing the NES version of the game, I figured it would be a good time to give the arcade version a whirl. Which I did.




Story:

Shoot a bunch of bad guys until you’ve killed them all. The end.




Gameplay:

Shoot a bunch of bad guys until you’ve killed them all. The end.

I kid, I kid. There’s a little bit more to it than that. But not much.

Rather than sit here and recap how the game works, which I already did in my review for the NES version of the game, I will break down the differences between the arcade and home versions. Normally when you compare an arcade game to its console counterpart, the arcade version wins. Look at TMNT. Look at Double Dragon. Look at Gauntlet. The arcade versions for all these games are better than the NES versions. In fact, for most games this is the case. Contra is the exception to the rule.

At its core, this is the same basic game as the NES version. Similar level design, similar characters, similar gameplay. But the NES version takes things farther than the arcade version, and it is better for it. The arcade version’s levels are a lot shorter. The bosses aren’t as “cool” (look at the waterfall boss for an example of what I’m talking about). Towards the end of the game, things start to feel rushed. Several levels that were individual levels on the NES are truncated and combined into one longer level.

I also don’t think the arcade version of the game is very challenging. Perhaps I am only saying this because I JUST played through the NES version of the game twice. But I didn’t even have to burn through a single continue on the arcade game. In fact, I don’t think I died more than three or four times overall. You’d think the arcade version would be the tougher one, because you know how they like to get you pumping in quarter after quarter after quarter, but I found this to be the opposite of the truth. I breezed through the game easily. A lot of this has to do with the overall shorter length of the game as well. Obviously if the game isn’t as long, there will be fewer opportunities for you to die.

The whole thing took me about 20 minutes to beat. It might have even been less than that, but I didn’t think to time my playthrough. All I know is that it was short as hell.

As far as actual gameplay goes, the game looks, feels, and controls just like Contra as I know it. No complaints there. The major differences here mainly have to do with the graphics and the level design. Speaking of the game’s graphics…




Graphics:

The NES version of the game looks better too. While this version has a little bit more detail in its characters and landscapes, its color scheme makes everything look really dull and lifeless. The home version of Contra has a lot more of a simplistic feel to it, but its colors are very vibrant and eye-catching. It helps give the game a timeless feel which the arcade version doesn’t have.

That’s not to say that this is a bad looking game. Look at the screenshots. It looks fine, especially by 1987’s standards. But it is definitely one-upped by the NES version.




Sound:

Gaaahhh, I don’t really remember anything about the game’s music or sound effects. I guess I wasn’t really paying much attention as I played. Or it could just be that the game’s audio quality is very similar to the NES version’s and I didn’t think to make a mental note of it. Some reviewer I am. Let’s give this game the benefit of a doubt and say that it’s good.

*shrugs*




Overall:

If you take away the NES version and look at this game on its own merits, it is a good game. I enjoyed myself. The negatives are that it’s just so dang short and easy, and there isn’t a whole lot of reason to come back and play it again.

I am sure that back in 1987, when this game was out in the arcades, it was an absolute blast to play. Contra was not present in any arcades I frequented, but if it was I can just imagine myself being a fan of the game and waiting in line to play it. But we ain’t dealing in hypotheticals here. How is Contra by today’s standards? It’s fine. That’s about all the excitement I can muster for it. It’s fine.

I am glad I played this game. It checks a box. It satisfies my curiosity. But in the future if I ever get the urge to play Contra again I am just going to play the NES version. It is superior in every way.



Final Score:
C





Check out my review and my re-review of the NES version of Contra here:


Master list of all my game reviews:




No comments:

Post a Comment