Saturday, August 3, 2024

2024 Movie Rankings (July)



I only watched six movies in the month of July, as it was a very busy month. Five of these six will be advancing to my year end ranking. The movies I watched in July were:

Awake
Glass
Dr. Giggles
Bone Tomahawk
Grizzly Man 
Transformers


Not Moving On:

Awake
I was scrolling through the movie list on Netflix, in the mood for something post apocalyptic when I came across this movie. The premise is: one day everyone suddenly finds they cannot sleep. People start going crazy, hallucinating, and dying. Seems like a neat premise on paper but in reality the movie was terrible. It is not only the worst movie I watched this month, it is one of the worst movies I have watched in a long, long time.


Moving On:

Dr. Giggles
In a normal month, this movie probably would not make my top five. It is not very good, but you know what? I still like it. It is campy and fun. Dr. Giggles himself is an underrated horror villain. I remember watching this with my mom when I was a kid, and we both enjoyed it and would imitate the laugh.

Glass
This movie was not nearly as bad as people made it out to be. What exactly was the problem with it? I enjoyed it. It brings the characters from Unbreakable and Split together and goes back to the theme of Unbreakable focusing around real life super heroes. I thought it was fun.

Bone Tomahawk
This was probably the strongest movie I watched this month. I am not a huge Western fan, but the story was simple and focused enough that it kept my attention despite the movie's relatively long length. I enjoyed the character building and how the characters react when things quickly take a turn for the worse. And then there is "the scene" which I read about long before I watched this movie. I knew it was coming, but I can only imagine how shocking it must have been for those who did not expect it.

Grizzly Man
An interesting documentary about a guy who lived side by side with bears. That is vastly oversimplifying the premise of this movie, but I feel I'd be typing for hours explaining the ins and outs of this movie, and that is not what the point of this post is about. The point is: it is enjoyable and takes a lot of turns that will surprise you. Thank to Staff Picks for doing an episode on this movie, or I never would have watched it.

Transformers
I have not seen a Transformers movie in years, but I do remember liking the original one when it first came out. I decided to come back and revisit it. It is pretty good, but not as fun as I remembered. I plan to check out the sequels (I stopped after two when I was younger) but my hopes are not high.


With these 5 movies advancing, here is a look at the top 35. 7 months down, 5 to go! At the end, we'll have 60 movies - 5 from each month that move on. And then I will determine my favorite. Here are the 35 that have moved on:

Old
Last Night
Doctor Sleep
A Star is Born
Mystic River
Dune (1984)
Dune: Part One
Dune: Part Two
Legends of the Fall
Cloverfield
Glass
The Shape of Water
Milo and Otis
Gerald's Game
Dr. Giggles
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition
Ghost
Milk
Fried Green Tomatoes
The Four Falls of Buffalo
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Open Water
The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker
Bone Tomahawk
Grizzly Man
Dumb and Dumber
The Skeleton Key
The Illusionist
The Prestige
Rear Window
Transformers
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Extended Edition
The Disaster Artist
Saw
Halloween


Past rankings:

No comments:

Post a Comment