Sunday, June 2, 2024

2024 Movie Rankings: May




Another eventful month of movie watching, as I watched 13 movies in the month of May. As usual, I will go through these movies and select 5 of them to move onto my year end ranking, where I rank my favorite movies of the year from worst to best. Which movies will move on, and which will be tossed to the side? Let's find out.

But first, here are the 13 movies I watched in May:
Halloween 6
Halloween H20
Halloween Resurrection
Identity
Ghost
Rear Window
12 Years a Slave
Halloween II (2009)
Doctor Sleep
Mary and the Witch's Flower
The Disaster Artist
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker


Not Moving On:


Identity
This is like the fourth time I have watched this movie. Each time I don't like it. Then I read about how good it is. Then I give it another chance. Then I find that I still don't like it. Rinse and repeat. It has an interesting premise, and I feel like I should like it. That's why I keep giving it more chances. But I don't. Time to finally put the movie to rest.

Halloween 6, Halloween H20, Halloween Resurrection, Halloween II (2019)
None of these four Halloween movies are good enough to move on. Not that I hate them or anything. I found most of them enjoyable - even the Rob Zombie movie. While they are fun, they just aren't impactful enough to move on. Enjoyable but forgettable. If you ask me in five months to recap each of these movies, I'd be like "uhhhhhhh...." 

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
I'm a little behind on my MCU movies, mainly because the quality of the films has taken a nosedive since Endgame. I've heard this movie sucked, and lo and behold - it does. The whole thing just seems stupid and irrelevant. It feels like they tried to rip off the concept behind Thor Ragnarok but failed miserably. I ended up looking at my phone for about 80 percent of the movie.

12 Years A Slave
I kind of feel bad for not liking this movie. I understand it is well acted and well directed. I just don't enjoy it. It is not even that the subject material is too grim for me. Heck, Requiem for a Dream is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's just a bit too long and it really doesn't do anything for me.

Mary and the Witch's Flower
This is a beautifully animated movie, and it came close to cracking my top 5. I feel like it would have been better suited if they trimmed off 15 minutes or so. It drags in places. I watched this a few years ago and struggled to stay awake during it - and the EXACT same thing happened this time as well.



Moving On:

The Disaster Artist
I'm not one of those people that is obsessed with The Room, but I was curious about this movie - as it dives into the odd story behind the making of The Room. I enjoyed it a lot, and I have a new appreciation for The Room and why it has such a cult following.

Ghost
One of my favorite movies of all-time. It is as close to a perfect movie as you can get. I haven't seen it in many years, so coming back to it at age 41, I was able to notice some things I wouldn't have picked up on before. Great movie, and a contender to finish strong on my year end ranking.

Doctor Sleep
I dragged my feet when it came to watching this movie because I thought it would suck, but it was surprisingly good. I could not take my eyes off the movie. Even the psychic vampire storyline delivered the goods, and to me it was one of the worst things about the book. I loved revisiting the Overlook and all the call backs to the original Shining. If you were sleeping on this movie like I was: don't. It is very good.

Rear Window
This one almost didn't make my top 5. I understand it is a good movie, and I know people love it. I do think it drags and gets a little boring from time to time. But I do love the concept of the film and the mystery surrounding the main plot. This is one of those movies (like a Tarantino film) where most of it is just people talking. But it is still interesting.

The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker
I've been aware of this documentary for a while now, but I never got around to watching it because I thought it was "just another" serial killer documentary. I fired it up and I was instantly hooked. How have I never heard of Kai and his viral video, or any of the controversy surrounding it? I was fascinated by the whole thing. Watch it if you haven't.


With these 5 movies advancing, here is a look at the top 25. 5 months down, 7 to go! At the end, we'll have 60 movies - 5 from each month that move on. And then I will determine my favorite.
Old
Doctor Sleep
A Star is Born
Mystic River
Legends of the Fall
Cloverfield
The Shape of Water
Milo and Otis
Gerald's Game
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition
Ghost
Milk
Fried Green Tomatoes
The Four Falls of Buffalo
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Open Water
The Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker
Dumb and Dumber
The Skeleton Key
The Illusionist
The Prestige
Rear Window
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Extended Edition
The Disaster Artist
Halloween


Past rankings:

No comments:

Post a Comment