Thursday, March 7, 2024

The Beatdown Part Three: Ranking every podcast in my current rotation from best to worst!

Forget March Madness, this has become the March tradition that everyone in the universe looks forward to: my annual podcast ranking. For those unfamiliar with this, I did one of these rankings back in 2022 and one in 2023. Now it is time for the 2024 edition. Yay.

Please note, this is only for podcasts in my current rotation. I'll give a shout out to my completed podcasts at the bottom of this post.


#1:
Staff Picks
Hosted by Mario Lanza


For the second year in a row, Staff Picks sits atop this list. It is easily the best podcast in my rotation. It is a discussion podcast for movies that need a little bit more love. What I love about the podcast is how it can sell me on literally any movie. Sometimes I come into an episode completely uninterested in the movie, only to leave wanting to track it down and watch it.

There's not much else I can say about this podcast that I didn't already say when it won last year. I guess I can add that this is a podcast that I always set aside time to listen to. A lot of podcasts just wind up as background noise as I drive or do things around the house. And that's ok, because they are filled with a lot of jibber jabber that doesn't really add much to anything. But every second of this podcast I feel is essential listening. If you haven't listened to this podcast, I advise checking it out. To me it is the quintessential movie podcast.

Last episode played: The Prestige
Next episode in line: The Illusionist


#2:
The Retrograde: A Video Game Podcast
Hosted by Andrew Bascom and Mikey Ehrenworth


This podcast has performed consistently well on my ranking. In the 3 years I've been doing this, it has ranked 3rd, 2nd, and now 2nd again.

I feel as if there is not much I can say here that I haven't said already in my last 2 rankings. The hosts are funny, I love their off-topic banter, and I disagree with about 90% of their retro gaming opinions. I've come to accept the fact that we just have wildly different tastes. They absolutely love stuff like Sim City, Civilization, Age of Empires, and sports games. Games that don't really mean anything to me. Meanwhile they rip on some of my all-time favorites like Resident Evil 2, Ecco, Star Fox, and Max Payne. It seems like they've been getting better at not hating everything, though. I don't know if it was an intentional shift in philosophy based on some of the backlash they get, or if they've simply gotten used to playing retro games and are more lenient now than they were before.

Regardless, this is a podcast I can put on anytime, anywhere, and know that I am going to enjoy it. It's my go-to podcast for when I am simply not in the mood to listen to anything else. I am ALWAYS in the mood to listen to this one. It's great. If you like retro gaming this one absolutely needs to be in your podcast rotation.

Last episode played: Episode 155: Sim City 2000
Next episode in line: Episode 157: Pokemon Snap Revisited


#3:
Dynasty Happy Hour
Hosted by James, Doug, and Tyler


2023 was the year I fell down the dynasty fantasy football rabbit hole. I remember adding this podcast to my rotation in about May or so, because I wanted to hear about the upcoming rookies in the draft class. I quickly became addicted to dynasty football content, and this podcast was a big part of that. I wanted to hear all about Quentin Johnston and Kendre Miller and Sam LaPorta and Zach Charbonnet, etc. I loved hearing their projections and listening to all their mock drafts. It inspired me to create a family and friends dynasty league of my own! 

I'm sure there are other dynasty podcasts out there, but this is all I need for the time being. It is one of my favorite podcasts, and I always instantly jump out and download a new episode as soon as it lands. I always debate between listening to it immediately or delaying my gratification and saving it as long as possible. 

The good news about this podcast is that it has so many episodes to go back and listen to. I started in the 2023 offseason, but I could easily go back and listen to everything that came before that. With a long dynasty offseason staring at me, I'm probably going to have to do so. Kudos to the hosts for all having great podcast voices, and great personalities as well. Everyone gets along with one another and I love the dissenting opinions. The Trophy Smack and Manscape advertisements get old, but I understand they gotta do what they gotta do to get that money!

Last episode played: Episode 389: Tight End Landscape for 2024
Next episode in line: Episode 390: Trading Etiquette w/ Leo Paciga


#4:
Collateral Gaming Video Game Podcast
Hosted by Ashley Chancellor, Megan Gomez, and Zachary Guillot


What are the odds? Collateral Gaming has come in fourth place every single year I've done this ranking. If anything, it is remarkably consistent. Again, as with all the other podcasts I've been listening to for a long time, I don't really have anything new to add about this podcast. I summed it all up pretty well the last two years.

I guess I can say that this is one of the few podcasts in my rotation that I'm all caught up with. Luckily this podcast pops out new content quite frequently, so it doesn't have to worry about dropping out of my rotation and losing its spot on my ranking. Unlike the other gaming podcasts I listen to, this one is not solely focused on retro gaming, and it talks about a lot of newer stuff. While I am a big gamer, I don't really follow new releases or gaming news anymore, so I am thankful to this podcast for keeping me in the loop.

Collateral Gaming is one of those admirable podcasts that I can put on anytime, anywhere, and still enjoy. Certain podcasts I have to be in the mood for, but this one is always welcome. I think it is because the host Ash seems like such a nice and pleasant guy. The cohosts are great, too. I've always liked Beaux. I feel like I'd fit right in talking games with these people and just hanging out and shooting the shit, and that is part of why I enjoy it so much. 

Last episode played: Game Launch Edition: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Next episode in line: Anniversary Special Part 1 - Fable 2004


#5:
The 7th Rule: A Star Trek Podcast
Hosted by Cirroc Lofton, Ryan T Husk, and Denise Crosby


This is a new entry on my list this year. Last year, I remember searching for some kind of Star Trek podcast to add to my rotation, and this is one of the first ones to show up. I'm glad I decided to pick this one to listen to, as it is great. It was originally started with Cirroc Lofton and Aron Eisenberg (Jake and Nog from DS9) but it has been forced to change and evolve over the years, especially after Aron's passing.

I actually started listening to this podcast in the middle of it. Normally I start from the very beginning of a podcast and listen in chronological order. But not here. I started with episode 203, which is when they review the TNG episode Code of Honor. I think I was testing the waters to see if the show was worth listening to, and it immediately hooked me. I don't think Denise is actually a full time host, but her humor and her insight into the filming of some of these old episodes really impressed me. I backed up and listened to the first few episodes of the TNG rewatch. And then continued listening after Code of Honor.

The whole podcast is such a joy to listen to, especially if you grew up with Star Trek like me. I love the hosts. They are so funny and insightful. It's surprising to me that Cirroc has not seen any of these TNG episodes, when he grew up playing Jake on an what was essentially a spinoff of The Next Generation. It's been a treat listening to his observations as he watches these episodes for the first time. Denise's recollections are great, too. I think it's funny how sometimes she completely doesn't even remember filming some of this stuff, though. I suppose, would I remember some random things that happened on a job I was working over 30 years ago? Ryan is a great cohost, too. He has the best "podcast voice" of any of the hosts.

The podcast also seems to have a panel of people that join every episode. Random fans from the Internet that give their opinion on the episodes they watch. It's always the same people every episode. I want to know how they were picked! But I've grown to really enjoy some of these guests. I love the "Aruken!" exclamation when they are reading off the big list of names. I don't think anyone has ever passed on the opportunity to say it like the Street Fighter sound effect. Some guests I can do without. I don't want to throw any shade, because you never know who is going to read this, but I have always found the limericks to be a bit lame. The awkward silence from the hosts every time the guest recites the limerick says everything.

If I had to offer one constructive criticism it would be to focus more on a cohesive recap of each episode they review. Sometimes they just talk about a few specific scenes that happened in an episode or how impressed they are with the costumes and the guest actors, and I am just sitting over here like "BUT WHAT EPISODE IS THIS????" I think that is more of a me problem than anything, though.

Coincidentally, the next episode I listen to is the one where Tasha Yar is killed off the show. I really hope Denise sticks around! Also, a side note: I have only been listening to the TNG recap episodes and skipping everything else. I'll return to the DS9 content and everything else at a later time.

Last episode played: Episode 225: Symbiosis
Next episode in line: Episode 226: Skin of Evil



#6:
Arcade Attack
Hosted by Keith, Adrian, Dillon, and Rob


Arcade Attack comes in strong at #6 on my ranking - one place higher in the ranking than it got last year. I really enjoy this podcast. All the hosts seem like a great group of friends that are very tight knit. Most of the time this is a good thing, but other times as a listener you feel like less of a member of their group and more of an outside observer.

This podcast is at its best when they are having fun. I like the music episodes and the episodes where they play little quiz games. I also enjoy the Secret Santa episodes where they give each other gifts. I love their wide variety of knowledge of retro gaming consoles. I'm glad someone out there appreciates the Atari Jaguar. Some episodes seem a little dry, however. Like when they talk about the history of some dull sounding Amiga game I've never heard of for more than an hour. I also am not a huge fan of the interview episodes, which I mentioned in my ranking last year. There was a recent interview, however, that had me laughing because of how off the wall it was. I wish I could remember which episode. I think the man being interviewed was yelling at his dog or something. I can't remember the specifics, just that it was funny. I should have written it down. Anyway, it was fantastic.

I feel like I have been listening to this podcast forever. It's been a few years now, I think. And the great thing about it is that I still have a long way to go. The final episode of the podcast was from September of 2023 and I am still back in January of 2020 where I am listening. The fact that I have so many more episodes left listening to these guys brings a smile to my face.


Last episode played: 2010 to 2020: A Decade of Retro Gaming
Next episode in line: Bonus Podcast: PlayStation Classic Wrongness



#7:
The Cartridge Club
Hosted by P1 and P2


Hard to believe that the Cartridge Club has slipped from 5th to 7th place in my ranking, but I think that says more about the quality of the podcasts above it than anything else. I think the main reason it is ranking so low is because I'm bogged down with the weekly episodes right now. I enjoyed the podcast the most when it was just a game of the month podcast, but all the weekly update shows are driving me nuts. Honestly, I probably should have just went and skipped them, but the completionist in me wants to listen to every single episode in this podcast's backlog. If anything they serve a purpose as a good "background" podcast that I can put on, and it doesn't really matter if I am paying attention or if I miss anything or not.

It's not that the weekly episodes are bad or anything, I just prefer the variety of games they talk about for game of the month. Spoiler alert: I was actually on an episode as a guest last year. My first podcast appearance. Anyway, the weekly episodes tend to focus around the members of the club and what they are up to. It's a lot of club gossip and discussion from the forums, which apparently were hopping back in 2017. Hard to believe I am still 7 years behind on this podcast! They also talk about new games and consoles being released around that time. It's interesting to see them react to things that are considered old news here in 2024. Anyway, I know that the weekly episodes eventually stop around 80 something. I'm on 55 right now. Eventually once I get through these, I'll start catching up to real time pretty quickly.


Last episode played: CC Portable #2 - Tetris DS
Next episode in line: CC Weekly #55 - July 30th 2017



#8:
The Loser's Club
Hosted by Randall Colburn, Dan Caffrey, McKenzie and Justin Gerber, and more!


The Loser's Club rises one spot in my ranking from last year. What I have come to appreciate about these guys is their enthusiasm and love for Stephen King, even through some of his not so good books and some of his cringe worthy dialogue that hasn't held up well over time. The poundcake section is something I always look forward to in every episode. The hosts do such a good job recapping the highs and lows of these books, all while laughing and having a great time the whole way throughout.

I just finished the Four Past Midnight episode, and will be moving onto some It Chapter Two movie episodes before moving onto the third Dark Tower book: The Wastelands. I am so excited for The Dark Tower and so excited for The Wastelands. The fact that I have been listening to this podcast for so many years now, and I still have so much more content to listen to is really awesome. I don't have much time to read anymore, so listening to this podcast on the go and reliving some of my favorite Stephen King moments, and moments I've completely forgotten about, is such a great thing.

Last episode played: The Sun Dog
Next episode in line: Behind the Scenes of It: Chapter Two with Anthony Breznican



#9:
Fantasy Football Happy Hour 
with Matthew Berry


I started listening to this podcast in 2023 to supplement the other Happy Hour podcast I listen to (DHH). I don't like this one as much. First of all, it doesn't focus on dynasty. That's not the podcast's fault, but it is more of what I am interested in right now. Second: there is too much content. During the NFL season they were pumping out an episode every single day. It was way too much to keep up with. I can listen to maybe an episode or two a week. But not one a day.

 As a result, I only listen to a sporadic episode here and there. There is no way I am going to be able to listen to every episode, so I am not going to even try. The content of the podcast is good. These guys definitely do their research. And I can see them doing some episodes that are more dynasty relevant in the offseason (they already talked about the NFL combine and the incoming rookie class). So this is definitely a podcast I'll continue to listen to. But I won't get caught up in trying to listen to every episode. It's just not going to happen.

Last episode played: NFL Combine headlines, Top Prospects + Andy Reid, Dan Quinn Interviews
Next episode in line: whichever of the hundreds of previously unlistened to episodes I feel like listening to


#10:
Collateral Cinema
Hosted by Beau Maddox and a plethora of cohosts


Well, Collateral Cinema has moved up two spots from #12 to #10 on my ranking. I really liked this podcast when I first started listening to it, and thought it would shoot to the top of my ranking, but that hasn't quite happened. I like the hosts. Beaux is awesome and seems like someone I would be comfortable kicking it with any day of the week. If you know me, you know that is pretty high praise.

The reason this podcast doesn't rank higher is because of its structure. Look at Staff Picks, which ranked #1. It's such a well plotted out podcast. They talk about their memories with the movie, who is in the movie, a basic plot summary, a detailed recap of all major plot points, including many breakdowns of individual scenes, etc. It has a beginning, middle, and end. This podcast is a bit of a free for all in comparison. Oftentimes I can listen to an entire episode and still have no idea what the movie is even about. I also feel like the movie selection is a little weird. It is very dude bro-ish. Not a lot of movies on here that I would watch or enjoy. A lot of stoner comedies, low budget horror movies, and movies that are just flat out bizarre, like Foodfight, Gummo, and Freddy Got Fingered.  

I think that if and when they get around to movies I actually care about, and as they round their way into form, I'll begin enjoying this podcast more. Next episode is an awesome start with Martyrs. I love that movie, especially the version they are watching.

Last episode played: Ep 26: Leprechaun Returns
Next episode in line: Ep 27: Pascal Laugier's Martyrs 


#11:
Digging Six Feet Under
Hosted by Victor Rubio


This podcast took the biggest tumble of any on my list, falling from 6th to 11th. It's not that I don't like the podcast. I really do. The host is great. I emailed him a while back because there were some episodes missing and he kindly provided me the links to be able to listen to them. He has a great podcasting persona and is always very personable with the guests he has on each week.

I think the reason this podcast has fallen so much is because of my disconnect with Six Feet Under. Last year when I started listening to this, the show was fresh in my mind and I was really digging the podcast. Now, a year later, I am a year removed from the show and have moved onto other shows that I am invested in. So I'm really in no giant rush to make my way through this podcast. I will finish it, though. I'm currently right around the middle mark. Season 3 of the show was my least favorite season, so I could see myself struggling a bit to listen through these episodes.


Last episode played: Bonus Episode (True Blood)
Next episode in line: S03E04 Nobody Sleeps


#12:
Sega Saturn, Shiro
Hosted by Patrick, Dave, Ke


Sega Saturn, Shiro has slipped a little bit in my rankings, falling from 8th last year to 12th this year. It is not anything that the podcast has done wrong. It's just fallen out of my rotation for some reason. I think I've only listened to about 20 episodes or so since the last ranking.

I have to give a special shout out to the people running this podcast. They have such a love for the Saturn and they do such a great job keeping the system alive and relevant. Their work can't be appreciated enough. It's a shame that this podcast has dropped to the bottom of my rotation. I just find it's not something I can listen to one episode after another like I can with other podcasts. I have to be in a certain mood for it. 

I noticed I'm coming up to a bunch of weekly live shows. I've decided to skip these for the time being. I am listening to all the weekly episodes of the Cartridge Club, and it is making my listen-through of their backlog take so freaking long. If I start listening to the weekly episodes of Sega Saturn, Shiro, I'll never finish with this podcast. So I am skipping them for now and only listening to the numbered episodes or bonus episodes.

Last episode played: EPISODE 44: "Pinball Games!"
Next episode in line: BONUS: "Bulk Slash English Translation Patch Discussion"


#13:
Stephen King Cast
Hosted by Constant Reader


My Stephen King podcasts kind of fell out of my rotation for a while, and it negatively affected the Stephen King Cast the most. I still listen to this podcast, but it takes a backseat to the Loser's Club, which I find infinitely more enjoyable. I am trying to listen to the book episodes in chronological order of when they were released. I always listen to the King Cast episode first, as it is generally pretty short and more of a cut and dry recap of the book's events. It gets me ready for the Loser's Club, which I consider the meat and potatoes of the Stephen King meal.

I'll still listen to this podcast, because I like the host and I like that the episodes are a lot shorter and easier to consume. But we can't kid ourselves that it is a particularly fun or enjoyable podcast. It is very dry.

Last episode played: Episode Fifty Nine-The Sun Dog
Next episode in line: Episode Sixty-Needful, Things Part One


#14:
Ear Biscuits
Hosted by Rhett and Link


Can you believe Ear Biscuits is last on my ranking for the second year in a row? Dead last. I love Rhett and Link, but this podcast hasn't been Micah Pufftea. The reason is because it focuses on the boys interviewing fellow YouTube sensations. They dive into their past, how they got into making videos, and what their plans are for the future. Most of these YouTubers I either haven't heard of, or they haven't been relevant in 10 years. And plus, I don't really care about these people. I am listening for Rhett and Link.

Eventually they move away from the interview format and gets to the type of podcast I am here for: Rhett and Link picking a topic and bantering about it for an hour. To heck with these YouTube people. Unfortunately, I am only on episode 32 and I have about 80 more of these interviews to sit through before the podcast becomes more of what I am looking for. Why don't I just skip ahead? Simple. OCD. 

When I did my ranking last year, I was on episode 10. That means I've listened to 21 episodes in the last year. Another 4 years and I'll be through the interview phase. Yay!

Last episode played: Ep. 31 Swoozie
Next episode in line: Ep. 32 Smosh




Special shout out to all the podcasts that are not in my current rotation:

Worth it or Worthless: Where are you guys?? After releasing 2 episodes a month for 4 years, they suddenly fell off the face of the earth. Just 6 total episodes were released in 2023, and none so far in 2024. I have a feeling they are done. Noooo! This was the show that got me hooked on podcasts, and I feel as if they still have so many retro games out there to cover. Hopefully they return someday.

The Edge of Sleep: This was my first podcast that was a fictional story rather than non fiction or a group of people talking about a movie, book, TV show, or video game. I have to say it was absolutely fantastic. I binged all 8 episodes in about a week. If it was still in my current rotation it could be #1. Really, really good.

The Survivor Historians: They actually just dropped a new episode less than 2 weeks ago, after going almost a year and a half with no new episodes. I was all caught up and was just waiting for them to finish Redemption Island. Now that they have, I can listen to these episodes and rewatch this season along with them. I'm looking forward to it!

Birds of Empire: I'm in the middle of the first episode, so I didn't think it would be appropriate to put it on the ranking considering I haven't listened to a full episode yet. It's okay so far. The premise sounds good. Very Horizon Zero Dawn reminiscent. I'm only listening to this because it is from the Edge of Sleep people, and I liked that so much.

Post Show Recaps: This is my first podcast ranking without PSR in there somewhere. As soon as I finish off something in my rotation, I'm immediately seeking out a PSR series to start. Maybe Better Call Saul or Game of Thrones? On a side note, I just heard that Post Show Recaps is coming to an end. Why????? It seemed so popular. I guess it is good I have a giant backlog of their episodes to listen through.

Big Brother Blockumentary: I loved these recaps of seasons 2, 3, and 4 of Big Brother. It's a shame there aren't any more to listen to. It's like Survivor Historians but for Big Brother fans.

Retrovaniacs, Do You Want to Keep Playing, and I Finally Watched...: I listened to 1 episode of each of these to see if they were anything I would be interested in. I liked all of them, but none of them were strong enough to join my rotation yet. They'll be getting more chances as the years go on. My queue is not going anywhere.


HEY


Hope you all enjoyed reading this. If I said anything bad about your podcast, I am sorry! Do not take it personally. If I didn't like your podcast, I wouldn't be listening to it. I feel as if honest opinions are always the way to go. No need to sugar coat anything. Feel free to criticize me and my shitty writing style all you want. I'm a big boy and I can take it.

Until next year!



For a complete index of all my past posts and game reviews, click


No comments:

Post a Comment