Saturday, February 3, 2024

Re-Review #17: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
PlayStation 3


For my original review of this game, click HERE


I first reviewed Uncharted 2 back in 2015. That's a whopping NINE years ago, if you're keeping score at home. My, how time flies. 

I loved the game back then. I even gave it the sacred A+ because I enjoyed it so much. Looking back on my review, I pointed out several times that I couldn't find any real flaws with the game. Great graphics, gameplay, and a fun story. It was the complete package.

Why did I decide to revisit this game here in 2024? Heh. Pretty simple, actually. I've been playing through Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age the last month or two. This game has bored me to tears. It's slow, dull, boring, and I can't muster even the slightest bit of interest in the game's story or its characters. It's been a real drag to say the least. I needed to take a break from that game by playing something fun and exciting. Something I've already played before and I knew I'd like. Hey! Why not Uncharted 2?

As soon as I started this game up, I knew I'd made the right choice. It's just as fun as ever. It starts off with a bang, with Nate desperately clinging to a train hanging over the edge of a snowy cliff. You climb your way to safety, and the game flashes back to tell you how you got to this point.




This is my favorite of the Uncharted games. The pacing is spot on. It never lags, it never feels boring. The first Uncharted is too action oriented, while the third is too plot heavy and doesn't have enough action. This game manages to find the perfect balance between story and action.

I am not going to recap the events of the entire game or break down its mechanics. I already did that in my original review. I'm just here to tell you if the game is still good or not. It is (especially when compared to a snoozer like Final Fantasy XII). I enjoyed myself thoroughly from beginning to end. I wouldn't say it is a flawless game. There were a few annoying moments when trying to line up jumps that resulted in some frustrating deaths. There are a few stages that drag on for too long. The duck and cover mechanic gave me some fits, too. Nothing is more annoying than trying to roll away from an enemy, and instead Nate takes cover against a wall - leaving him open to gunfire. Lots of frustrating deaths came from this, particularly in the train section with its tight corridors.

All that said, this is still a fun game. I'm not going to give it an A+ like I did before. Best I can do is an A. But it is still a damn fine game. And still a gorgeous looking game, too! I couldn't believe this came out in 2009 as I was playing it. That's 14 dang years ago. To put it in perspective, there is a 14 year gap between The Adventures of Bayou Billy for the NES and Grand Theft Auto Vice City. Those games are worlds apart in their graphics. Uncharted 2 looks like it could have come out last week.

So, should you play this? Heck yeah! Especially if you are new to the series. I'm sure this series has its detractors, but I don't see how you could not like it. It's fun as hell. Like video games are meant to be.

THE GRADE:
A


For a complete index of all my past posts and game reviews, click


No comments:

Post a Comment