Thursday, January 18, 2024

Video Game Review #493: Star Wars Arcade

Star Wars Arcade
Sega 32X


Nostalgia Factor:

I first played Star Wars Arcade back in the mid 90s. I remember desperately wanting a 32X so that I could finally play a Star Wars game on a Sega console. As both a Genesis kid and a giant Star Wars fan, I was starving for content. It made me sick to my stomach seeing Star Wars games for the NES, SNES, the PC, and even the Sega CD (which was out of my price range). But there was nothing for the Genesis. Nothing.

The 32X was (predictably) a giant flop. At the end of the system's life span, I remember seeing an ad in the paper for Toys R Us, where these systems were being sold at a discounted clearance price. Something incredibly cheap, like 25 bucks. I thought: here it is! I finally had a chance to go out and get one of these things without completely breaking the bank.

I went to Toys R us and nabbed a 32X, which came with a copy of Virtua Fighter. I didn't have the money to spend on any extra games, so right after Toys R Us, I went straight  to Blockbuster Video to see what they had available to rent. There it was, right on the shelf: Star Wars Arcade. The game I had been pining for. I rented it, took it home, and dedicated that entire weekend to playing through this game. I barely even touched Virtua Fighter. It became a complete afterthought. My dream had come true: I was finally going to get to play Star Wars on a home console!

It ended up being a somewhat frustrating weekend. I could barely get the 32X to work. I followed the instructions and attached it to the Genesis as I was supposed to, but the games simply would not work. It took hours of unplugging it, plugging it back in, wiggling it around, and blowing in the games before Star Wars Arcade finally decided to load up.

Once I was able to get the game running, I didn't want to turn it off. I was afraid I'd never get it to work again! I dedicated so much time that weekend to Star Wars Arcade. In just 2 or 3 days I probably sunk 30 hours into the game. Amazing what you can do with some time and dedication. I wish I had that much time to put into a game nowadays!

My memories of the game are somewhat incomplete. I remember the basic premise of the game. I remember it being difficult. But that's about it. I did not remember much else about the game, or even if I had fun playing it. After that weekend, I never played the game again. In fact, aside from being able to play a few rounds of Virtua Fighter, I don't think I was ever able to get my 32X to work again. I ended up trading it in to a used game store for a few extra bucks.

Fast forward to the year 2024. Nearly 30 years have passed since I last played Star Wars Arcade. On a whim, I decided to fire up my Retropie and see if the game was still worth playing.

Spoiler alert: it is not. Read on for my full review.




Story:

This game loosely follows the events of the original Star Wars movie. You play as a fighter pilot. You have to do battle against the forces of the Empire. You go into combat against TIE Fighters, Star Destroyers, and you even make a run at the Death Star at the very end of the game.

There are two different game modes: Arcade and 32X version. In Arcade mode, you only play four stages: a TIE Fighter dogfight, a stage where you fly inside a Star Destroyer and blow it up from the inside, another TIE Fighter dogfight on the surface of the Death Star, and a final run at the Death Star's trench. Blow up the station and you win the game. Yay. This is the game mode that I played. I didn't even bother with 32X version. From its in-game description, it is more challenging and contains more levels.

I had such a rotten time with Arcade mode that 32X mode didn't even appeal to me. Arcade mode was hard! And 32X version was supposed to be even harder? No thanks. And more stages, too? Sounds like more opportunities to torture myself. I'll pass.




Gameplay:

In case you can't tell, I did not like this game. It's ugly, it's boring, it's repetitive, and it's way too difficult and unforgiving for someone like me.

This is a 3D space shooter. On the surface, it looks similar to Star Fox for the SNES, but that's where the comparisons quickly fall apart. Half the stages involve simply flying around trying to defeat a set number of enemies within the time limit. The other half are on-rails and involve trying to stay alive as you fly along a linear path. These stages probably carry the most similarities to Star Fox, but even then they are clearly not as fun.

You can switch between two perspectives: cockpit view and behind-the-ship view. Cockpit view is the way to go, here. You have a proper aiming reticule and you have access to a radar that shows enemy positions. Behind-the-ship view provides something more interesting to look at visually, but something almost completely unplayable as far as gameplay goes. Do yourself a favor and stick to cockpit view.

Two of Arcade Mode's four stages involve flying around a 3D area trying to gun down TIE Fighters. In the first stage, you have to defeat 20 within the time limit to move on to the next stage. It seems simple enough, but the controls are a little wonky. Even though it is an open 3D environment, you seemingly can only move your ship left and right. You can't go up or down, even though your enemies can. So if a TIE Fighter streaks by in front of you and starts to go up and off the screen, you can't follow it. WTF? It's open space. Why can't I go after it? At least the other stage where you have to defeat TIE Fighters takes place on the surface of the Death Star, so the movement restriction makes a little more sense.

Also, the game often tells you to hit the brakes whenever there is a TIE Fighter behind you. The goal is to have them go racing in front of you when you slow down, so that you can shoot them. Too bad this tactic only works like 40% of the time. The other 60%, you are just making yourself an easy target by slowing down and making it easier for them to hit you. Am I doing something wrong here? It's not like I was just hitting the brakes and sitting still. I was jitterbugging all over the place and still getting hit.

The other two Arcade Mode stages involve flying through a series of obstacles. The first one, you fly through the innards of a Star Destroyer trying to blow it up from the inside. You have to shoot down TIE Fighters that are chasing you and wall-mounted turrets that fire missiles at you. You also have to avoid running into obstacles. The other stage like this is your typical Star Wars video game Death Star trench run. Even though this is the New Hope Death Star, for some reason you have to fly inside it and blow up the core, while Lando talks to you on the intercom. Okay. 

This does a decent job at recreating an intense battle from the film(s), but is it any fun to play? No, it is not. It is mind-numbingly frustrating. Fail enough times and you have to start the whole annoying game over again from the beginning. SIGH.

Normally I like to complete a game to 100% before I review it, but Arcade mode is such a chore, I was not tempted at all by 32X mode. I had had enough misery for the time being. I already knew by this point that I didn't like the game. Absolutely no need to put myself through any more pain.




Graphics:

This whole game is kind of a joke to look at in present day, but back in the mid 90s this was considered fantastic looking. I suppose Star Fox for the SNES is a decent comparison visually. This game contains the same blocky 3D space ships that were so popular back in the day. It essentially looks like Star Fox but with a Star Wars skin. Despite the improved technology, however, it still manages to look worse.




Sound:

I suppose this game's sound is its one saving grace. It's almost impossible to have a Star Wars game that sounds like crap. The sound effects are great. You hear the same classic Star Wars laser blasts you hear in the movie. Get hit too many times and your R2 unit emits its signature screech. I always thought that was a nice touch. There are a few interspersed moments with voice acting from the movies. These voice clips sound pretty good considering this is cartridge based technology.

Stage music itself is fine. You definitely feel as if you are playing a Star Wars game as you make your way through these levels. The classic opening crawl music is pretty good as well, but personally I'd rather have a game that's actually fun to play.




Overall:

This is not a good game. It may in fact be the worst Star Wars game I have ever played. I'm actually a little disappointed I decided to come back and play this. If I was reviewing this solely based on memory, it probably would have gotten something in the B or C range. Playing it now, I don't see how it could get anything but an F. I had an awful time with the game, and I have no plans in my life to ever come back to it again.

This game isn't unplayable or anything like that. I'm sure there are games out there that are more poorly made than this that I've managed to like. It's just not fun. I enjoyed myself 0% of the time as I played through this. I wanted to give it a chance. I wanted to like it. But there is nothing here to like.

I think I've made my thoughts on the game quite clear. It sucks. It should only be played out of morbid curiosity. Avoid it if you can.


THE GRADE:
F


For a complete index of all my past posts and game reviews, click

No comments:

Post a Comment