Thursday, October 5, 2023

Video Game Review #467: Resident Evil 4 (remake)

Resident Evil 4
PlayStation 4


Nostalgia Factor:

I've been chomping at the bit to play this game from the moment I first heard about it. Resident Evil 4 has always been one of my favorite video games of all time, and I was very excited to see the direction they were going to take with this version of the game. At the same time, I liked the RE2 and RE3 remakes, but I was a little skeptical as to what they were going to do here. The original Resident Evil games were so different. It was fun to see them reimagined. But what the heck were they going to do with a game that was already fairly modernized?

Although I've always questioned why exactly this game was made when Capcom could have redone Code Veronica or Zero, I've still always wanted to play it. Seven months after its release, I'm getting my chance. Let's do this.




Story:

The storyline hasn't been altered much from the original game. You play as Leon Kennedy, who is sent to a remote forest in Spain to rescue the President's daughter. Leon encounters a mysterious cult of villagers that has been infected by the Las Plagas. This cult is led by Lord Saddler and his minion Salazar. You have to save Ashley, defeat the bad guys, and get the heck out of dodge.

There are some miniscule changes from the original game, but nothing that jumps out or makes too much of a noticeable difference. You might get some extra dialogue here or there, tweaks as to what takes place when and where, and some journals that mention the Las Plagas came from a mine, and that the villagers have been harvesting more of them in an attempt to expand their operations. You also get a little more background information on Luis. But nothing that really changes anything in the long run.




Gameplay:

I was shocked at how closely this game resembles the original version of RE4. Of all the Resident Evil remakes out there, this one stays the closest to the original. There are some quality of life improvements, such as some smoother controls, easier to pull of combo attacks/finishers, an improved melee system, some new stealth mechanics, and the elimination of quick time events. But really, this game stays very, very close to the source material.

Things start in the woods. Leon gets out of the car to investigate when one of the patrolmen accompanying him goes missing. You get to a house, where you are attacked by your first bad guy. The controls are very familiar if you've played the original. The movement is the same, aiming is the same, the inventory screen is the same. The action quickly shifts to the famous village scene, where Leon is swarmed by a seemingly insurmountable number of enemies. A tolling bell calls the villagers away, and Leon is freed up to start exploring by himself.

Really, the entire first half of this game is very true to the original. Sure, some locations might be switched around and some things might look a little different. But overall, it is almost like you're playing the same game, but with improvements. It isn't until you get to the castle part of the game where things start to become a little different. And I can't say different in a good way. Some of my favorite parts of the game have been completely eliminated, and some of my favorite locations, too. 

It's like they decided to hit the fast forward button once you arrive at the castle. Everything is skimmed over pretty quickly. Many of my favorite rooms and areas are eliminated from the castle. That big, gorgeous room with the statues? Gone. The hallway with the billowing curtains? Gone. That section with all the statues spitting fire: gone. The balcony where you use a sniper rifle to protect Ashley: gone. The minecart area has been severely truncated. There is no underground area (remember where you fight the chainsaw guys in the sandy underground tower?). The big Salazar statue area is gone (although it is replaced by a different, less iconic Salazar statue later in the game). The driving section with Ashley is gone, replaced by a protection mission where you have to defend her as she uses a crane with a wrecking ball to open a new area. Even that boss battle where you have to jump from the falling crates is gone too.

While the first half of the game stayed loyal to the original RE4, the second half is only true to it in theme only. There is a hedge maze, but it is different. There is a cave area, but it is different. There is a clock tower, but it is different. I already mentioned all the missing areas. The game is still perfectly enjoyable, but I have to say I prefer the original game more.

I have to talk about the merchant a little bit, too. His function is pretty much the same as the original game, but he does give you some extra things to do. Destroy all the pendants (which you see in the original game, but has been expanded to multiple areas here), shoot all the rats, kill all the chickens, etc. The tasks he gives you are nothing too hard, but a nice way to earn some extra moolah to upgrade your items and equipment.




Graphics:

Visually, this game looks great. This is the one area of the game that is a clear upgrade from the original. Not that the original looks bad or anything (I think it still holds up). This version just looks so much better.

Everything is so finely detailed. The characters, the environments, the interiors. There are weather effects like wind and rain that really highlight this level of detail as well. If you were interested in seeing how the original would look with modern day graphics, look no further. It looks stunning I just wish so many environments from the first game weren't missing! 




Sound:

This game sounds fantastic too. RE4 has never been known for its great musical score, and that is true here as well. The music is serviceable but nothing memorable. Where the game stands out for me is the ambience. The sound of the environment around you, like the rain and the birds. The characters conversing with one another. I like when you're in the lab area and you can hear the sounds those damn creatures make (you know the ones I'm talking about), even when there are none in your area. The sound of gunfire and explosions are great. Everything sounds great - even the voice acting. I was worried they'd neuter the merchant and ruin the charm he brought to the original game, but they didn't.

I guess my one and only complaint is how radio communications with your mission director take place through the audio on the PS4 controller. I hate when games play sound through the controller, especially when I'm wearing headphones or earbuds. I shouldn't have to take them off to hear what someone is saying to me through the controller. Maybe this would be different I plugged a headset directly into the PS4 controller, but I hate doing that because the sound is always very crackly when I do that. So I just use wireless ones and pair them directly to my TV.

It's a small gripe, but a valid one.




Overall:

Make no mistake about it: this is a good game. Heck, it's a very good game. That said, it is missing that little extra something that made the original RE4 so iconic. I had a great time playing this game, and I'm sure I'll revisit it again sometime in the next few years. But it didn't leave the impression on me that the original one did. It's too similar in parts, too wildly different in others. I wish they'd made up their mind and either made this a loyal remake of the original, or completely reimagined the game like they did with the RE2 and RE3 remakes. It's like they tried to compromise and do both at the same time - and I feel as if they stumbled in the process.

I can easily recommend this game to anyone. If you are on the fence about playing it: play it. Especially if you've never played the original before. You will probably think it is awesome. But to me: it falls just a little bit short. I think I even prefer Village to this game. It's still good, don't get me wrong. I am still going to give this a terrific score. But I think it could have been so much better.


THE GRADE:
A-


This is now my 14th full review of a Resident Evil game. And with so many games in the series that I haven't reviewed yet, we are nowhere close to being done. If you like this review and want to check out a complete index of all my past posts and game reviews, click

No comments:

Post a Comment