Sunday, September 29, 2019

In Review: 200 Game Reviews




Who would have thought when I first started this blog back in January of 2015 that I would reach 200 game reviews? I am famous for abandoning projects that I start working on. I am sure most people thought that I would lose interest and let the blog die a few months after I created it. But no! I am still going on, strong as ever.

I figured I would take the time at this milestone of 200 reviews to go back and look at some numbers. It has been approximately 1800 days since opening this blog. Since I have posted 200 game reviews, that calculates out to me posting a review every nine days. When you factor in that I have an overall grand total of 293 blog posts (yes, I do occasionally write things other than video game reviews) including this one, that averages out to a blog entry approximately every 6.14 days. Or roughly one a week. Kudos to myself for keeping it up!

My most reviewed video game system is the PlayStation 3, with 37 game reviews. On its heels is the PlayStation 4 with 33 game reviews. It is funny, most people I encounter say that I am always playing "old" or retro games, but the two systems with the most reviews are two newer systems. My third most reviewed system is the Sega Genesis, with 24 games. NES: 17. PS1: 16. PS2: 15.

My least reviewed gaming system is the PC, with only one game review. There is a tie for second fewest reviews with two among the following systems: Sega Master System, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, and PSP.

I have "re-reviewed" five games, where I revisit games I had already played and reviewed, but these re-reviews don't count towards the number of my official game reviews. They exist as their own separate entities. My good buddy Jeff (RIP) posted five special guest game reviews for this blog, but again these exist as their own separate entities.

My most viewed game review is for Shenmue for the Sega Dreamcast. Somehow, this review got 272 views.

My least viewed game review is Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, with a whopping two total views. Come one people, give this review some love! 

Seriously though, I am not a big self-promoter. I share the links to my reviews on my Facebook page and rarely share them anywhere else. If anyone knows people who would be interested in my reviews, or knows of a group somewhere where I can post my reviews and people will read them, feel free to let me know! 

My most reviewed series is a tie between Star Wars and Resident Evil, with eight game reviews in each series. There is a tie for second place with seven reviews among the following series: Kingdom Hearts, Batman, Mario, and Sonic. You could make an argument for eight Sonic games, if you want to count Dr Robotnik's Mean Machine as a Sonic title, which I did not because Sonic's name isn't in the title and he also never makes an appearance in the game.

Famous series that contain games which I have not reviewed yet include Mass Effect, Persona, Assassin's Creed, Dragon Quest, Dark Souls, Half Life, Street Fighter, Tekken, Halo, Jak and Daxter, Pokemon, Crash Bandicoot, Twisted Metal, Dragon Age, Saints Row, Guitar Hero, and any Madden or 2K game. 

Here are some games that you will for sure see reviewed soon:
  1. God of War for PlayStation 4. I just beat it today, actually, so a review should be coming soon.
  2. Iconoclasts. Just got it in from GameFly today.
  3. Resident Evil Revelations 2. Made it to the final chapter of the game before my disc stopped working and couldn't be read anymore. I hope to get a new copy of this soon so I can finish the game.
  4. Spyro Reignited Trilogy. I have played through the first two games on this disc. Just need to beat the third. I considered reviewing each game as its own, but decided against it unless I am playing the original PlayStation versions of the game.
  5. Secret of Evermore. I started this game back at the beginning of the year, but abandoned it for some reason or another. I plan to return to it as soon as my GameFly subscription expires.

I also plan to continue to work through my backlog of games. Expect to see me review several Legend of Zelda games, such as Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, Twilight Princess, and the original NES version of the game. Xenogears and the Xenosaga trilogy are on my radar. I plan to continue to play more Sonic games, like Sonic CD, Sonic Spinball, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic Adventure, and Sonic & Knuckles. I still have several Star Wars titles to play through, including Super Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, Starfighter, the Phantom Menace, and two different Rogue Squadron games. I have some Resident Evil games to play. Some more Metal Gear. There are still a buttload of Mario and Final Fantasy games out there that I haven't even touched yet.

I only have two physical games left for my Sega Saturn to play and review: Fighters Megamix and Congo The Movie: The Lost City of Zinj. I need to play through these games soon because the last time I fired up my Saturn, it didn't seem to be running very well. I fear it is on its last legs. I also need to get cracking on reviewing more Dreamcast games, because that system doesn't seem to be running very well either.

I think I am done rambling, for the time being. I just want to let everyone know that I DO INDEED plan to do something special to celebrate 200 game reviews. Starting at some point this week, I am going to rank all 200 of the games I played from worst to best, starting with #200 and working my way up to #1. It should be fun (2021 edit: I never got around to doing this). After I finish that, I probably won't do another game ranking until I hit 1,000 total video games played in my lifetime. I am only at 818 games right now, so that is going to be a ways away.

To all the loyal readers of this blog: thanks for hanging with me. Someday I may get with the times and start a YouTube channel, but I'm still a bit too shy for that. Thank you all for putting up with my long winded posts and I hope you keep reading them in the future.

Anyone interested in an index of all my posts, click >>>here<<<! This posting contains links to each and every single post I have ever made for this blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment