Tuesday, March 2, 2021

2020 Movie Ranking: The Top 5

It's March, so I guess I'd better hurry up and finish this ranking. Without further adieu, here is my top five. 


#5
Parasite


I wanted to see this movie even before it did so well at the Oscars. I came into it with no idea what to expect, and all I can say is that I liked it a lot. It's about a poor family that worms their way into the lives of a rich family. The way they do it is really clever, sabotaging all the help and one by one taking their place. Needless to say, things go south pretty quickly as the ex-housekeeper returns to the house and uncovers their lies. Violence and chaos ensue. People die, the family frantically tries to cover things up. All I can say is that it is a bonkers movie and well-worth watching. Not only very entertaining but a very clever and very well-crafted and filmed too.



#4
Bloodsport


Another movie I had never seen before watching it in 2020. I'd always heard it was one of Van Damme's better movies, but seeing as how I'm not really a martial arts movie kind of person (which is ironic when you look at my top 5) I never gave it a chance. I finally bit the bullet last year. Much to my surprise, I found this movie to be fantastic. It's part 80s cheese fest but also really well-done at the same time too. It's easy to follow, it's got great characters, the fights are highly entertaining, and it is just freaking fun to watch. I loved it. Why had I never given this a chance before? 



#3
Big Hero 6


I watched this movie on Disney Plus while scouting out kids' movies that I have never seen before that I might want to watch with my son Channing when he gets older. Little did I know that I would actually really, really like this movie. It may be my new favorite Disney movie of all time. It's fun to look at it, it's got an entertaining storyline, fun characters, and some moving plot moments that really get you in the feels. Why didn't this movie blow up bigger than it actually did? I think it is great.



#2
The Karate Kid


A classic movie that has only gotten better with age. This is as close to a flawless movie as you can get. The acting, the music, the cinematography. This movie is pure 80s fun. None of its sequels have come close to touching it, although I do admit that I absolutely love the Cobra Kai TV show. And it all started right here. Watch it and bask in its glory.



#1
Mandy


No movie had as big an impact on me in 2020 as Mandy. I came into this film having no idea whatsoever what it was about, other than that it was "crazy." Well, that is a bit of an understatement. I don't even know if I can put this movie's greatness into words. It's just so... different. The basic plot breakdown is that Nicolas Cage and his girl Mandy are living in a relatively isolated environment, in peace and totally in love with each other. All this changes when Mandy is drugged and kidnapped by a psychedelic hippy cult. Mandy mocks the fragile cult leader and is murdered in front of Nic Cage in brutal fashion. Nic is released and returns home to drink and watch weird TV commercials and freak out and have a mental breakdown in such an overacted way that only Nic Cage can pull off. But it works. Everything about this movie works. Nic goes on a brutal revenge tour to kill the cult that murdered his girlfriend, armed demonic biker guard patrol and all. It's just so freaking weird, but I loved every second of it. The colors, the acting, the way it is filmed, the trippy and hallucinogenic haze that has its influence everywhere. This is a brilliant freaking movie, and it left me in absolute awe every step of the way. I understand this movie won't be for everyone, but it definitely left a giant impact on me. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. Mandy truly has to be seen to be believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment