Thursday, February 4, 2021

2020 Movie Ranking: #40 to #6

Onward we roll with my 2020 movie ranking. I decided it would take too much time to put a picture by each movie, so I am only adding one for the first movie on the list. You do want me to finish this, right? Sacrifices must be made. Anyway, let's go. The top 5 will be coming within the next few days/weeks/months/whenever the hell I feel like it.



#40:
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I've come to appreciate this movie more and more the older I get, but compared to the other Marvel movies to come it is missing some of their humor and personality.


#39:
The Cable Guy
I always liked this when I was a kid and wondered why it had gotten such bad reviews. Now I know. It isn't a good movie. It is ridiculous. But I still like it.


#38:
Toy Story 3
Not my favorite Toy Story movie but still a good one. The series should have ended here, as the movie ended on a high note and would have been the perfect send-off for these characters. But no, they had to go make another movie and wreck it all!


#37:
Super 8
I like what the movie is trying to do but I feel the second half of the film couldn't match the first. It is still entertaining, but it left me expecting more.


#36:
Driving Miss Daisy
A quaint and fun little movie with a lot of heart.


#35:
Deep Impact
I don't think I will ever be able to decide which movie is better: this or Armageddon? Luckily I won't have to decide this year as I did not watch Armageddon and it won't appear on this ranking. Yay! 


#34:
The Fear of 13
One man narrates his harrowing story of being rescued from death row by DNA evidence. Even though it is just one guy talking for the whole movie, he really demands your attention and tells you a pretty good story. If you like the Netflix series I Am a Killer you will like this.


#33:
Supersize Me
Interesting documentary about what eating large portions of fast food every day does to your body.


#32:
Ant Man
A solid, funny Marvel movie. Ant Man is not my favorite character, and honestly the movie's plot isn't too interesting to me. But the humor and the awesome visual effects make this an enjoyable ride nonetheless.


#31:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Entertaining movie to be sure as you never know what Jack Nicholson's wild card character is going to say or do. I'm not sure I see the emotional significance this movie seems to carry with some people though. Am I missing something?


#30:
Rocketman
I expected something more along the lines of Bohemian Rhapsody rather than a musical that tells most of its story through song. But it was still pretty good, and did a lot to reinvigorate my interest in Elton John and his music.


#29:
Goldeneye
My favorite Bond movie but honestly I remember it being better than this. 


#28:
The Greasy Strangler
Just really, really freaking weird. One of the weirdest things I have seen. Normally I don't like abstract movies like this but this one was just outrageous enough that it grabbed my attention in a "can't look away from the car wreck" sort of way. Not to say the movie is a car wreck. It is good, it is just.... you need to see it for yourself.


#27:
Doctor Strange
I have come to appreciate Doctor Strange recently. In the past I would have said this is one of my least favorite Marvel movies, but I really got into it this time around.


#26:
Toy Story 2
Probably the pinnacle of the Toy Story series. I liked it.


#25:
The Platform
I like the lesson this movie tries to tell. The concept is really outrageous and original, which is what drew me to it initially. It is unsettling but in a riveting way. I can't really say I had "fun" watching it, but it was certainly something different and unique.


#24:
Monster House
I had never seen this before, but it was surprisingly entertaining for adults - for a kids' movie.


#23:
Terminator Dark Fate
I am probably overrating this movie but its tone reminded me a lot of the original Terminator and T2 - which I liked. It's a fun popcorn flick and seeing how all the Terminator movies have sucked lately this was a breath of fresh air.


#22:
Star Wars: A New Hope
Great movie and I want to start a Christmas tradition now that we have a baby of watching a Star Wars movie every Christmas. We started with this one, but with his short attention span it took us like 5 days to actually finish this movie.


#21:
Me, Myself, and Irene
This is the part of the list where things are starting to get tough. I have always had a soft spot for this movie as it was something me and my first "real" girlfriend uses to watch over and over again. All these years later and I still like it.


#20:
Child's Play (2019)
You know, I expected this to be absolutely horrible and instead I came out pleasantly surprised. Obviously this will never be a Best Picture type movie but I thought it was so entertaining!


#19:
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Although I already mentioned that I wasn't a huge Ant-Man fan, I thought that its sequel was very entertaining. It is funny. The action is over-the-top with all the shrinking and expanding objects and how cleverly they are implemented. It is fast moving and colorful. It ends on a cliffhanger that ties the movie in with Infinity War and Endgame. Just really a fun movie that flies by as you are watching it. Pun intended.


#18:
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
A movie that never gets old.


#17:
The Wicker Man
Can you believe this was my first time seeing this classic? I thought it was great. Now I need to see the Nicolas Cage version I've heard all about.


#16:
Spider-Man
I think these Tobey McGuire Spider-Man movies are a lot better than some of the movies in the MCU. The 90's-style action and jokes really make this feel like a true comic book movie.


#15:
Spider-Man 2
I had a hard time deciding which of the movies was better, but I settled on the sequel as I love Alfred Molina as Doc Oc. The action and cinematography in this movie is just so good. Both these movies as a whole have aged remarkably well. Let's just forget about the third one.


#14:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Fun movie with a great cast of characters. Really opens things up to the whole expanded universe with Thanos and the Infinity Stones and everything, so it is an essential part of MCU lore as well.


#13:
Phantasm
I've always thought this movie was mediocre, but I completely changed my mind on it upon my 2020 viewing. I love the setting and the characters and the classic 80's horror movie feel of the whole thing. The "other dimension" is something that caught my interest and has made me seriously consider checking out some of the sequels.


#12:
Thor Ragnarok
The embodiment of a great superhero movie. 


#11:
Dennis the Menace
Another one of those "can you believe he's never seen that??" type of movies. I loved it! How did I never watch this when I was a kid? I would have loved it then too. Has a very Home Alone vibe to it.


#10:
Black Panther
I've always liked this movie but for some reason I appreciated it extra this time around. Maybe because my wife and I coincidentally watched it a day or two after Chadwick Boseman died. The whole movie carried a lot more weight to it.


#9:
Star Trek
All these years since this movie has come out and I still am impressed that it is as good as it is.


#8:
The Buddy Holly Story
Who knew Gary Busey could pull off such a fantastic Buddy Holly? I was thoroughly impressed by this movie, both the acting and the music. I never knew much about Buddy Holly either so it was very informative and also made me a fan all in one fell swoop.

#7:
Green Inferno
A gory torture fest where a group of do-gooder college students travel to the rainforest to stop a destructive construction site and are captured and cannibalized by a group of hostile natives. This is a disturbing, non-PC bloodbath and I am here for every second of it.

#6:
Three Men and a Baby
A charming cast, an intriguing crime-related subplot, and a lot of really funny humor and jokes make this film a real joy to watch. Too bad I didn't care much for the sequel.



TOP 5 COMING SOON!


No comments:

Post a Comment