Thursday, January 7, 2021

Ranking every movie I watched in 2020: The bottom feeders

2020 has finally ended (thank god!) and you know what that means: it is time for my year-end movie rankings. Usually, I watch hundreds of movies per year, but in 2020 I managed to sit down and watch a whopping 67 movies. This can be contributed to a lot of things, like the pandemic shutting down movie theaters, for example. But really the main reason is because I simply don't have time to sit down and watch movies anymore now that I have a newborn baby to look after. That should make my ranking pretty easy to complete, though. I was always daunted whenever I watched one or two hundred movies and then I had to rank them all. Notice how I've been trimming down my ranking the last few years? But 67... 67 I can do.

Let's start with the bottom and work our way up to the top. Here we go: the worst movies I watched in 2020.



#67:
The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Slow, boring, made NO logistical sense whatsoever. Stiff, wooden acting. Characters talking in riddles and behaving in the absolute stupidest way possible. I hated every second of this movie. I wanted that two hours of my life back after I finished this. There was ZERO entertainment value to be found from this film. Easily the worst movie I watched in 2020, and maybe one of the worst movies I have seen, period.


#66:
Underworld

I had never seen this movie before, but I have friends who always talk about it like it is good, so I decided to give it a chance. Big mistake. Poor acting, laughable special effects, cheesy action sequences, and a plot I cared absolutely nothing about. This movie was a giant let down. Even Kate Beckinsale's hotness couldn't keep this from being a complete failure in my mind. I will definitely not be checking it out its sequels.


#65:
The Lighthouse

I expected this movie to be weird, but I still thought I would be entertained by it. But no. This is a slow, dull movie about 2 gross dudes making each other paranoid in a lighthouse. It wasn't scary. It didn't make sense. It was gross but not in a way that tickles my fancy like, for example, Gaspar Noe films usually do. It's just really boring and bad.


#64:
Avengers: Age of Ultron

I usually love Avengers movies, but this one just doesn't do anything for me. I watched it in the theaters when it first came out and I didn't like it. I watched it in 2019 and didn't like it. I gave it one last shot in 2020 and I still didn't like it. Easily one of the worst films in the MCU.


#63:
Blade Runner

I am not saying this is a bad movie, but I don't even remember watching Blade Runner in 2020. I'll assume I either fell asleep or was playing on my phone the entire movie. Still, I saw this movie a few years ago and didn't like it very much (despite the fact that you'd think it would be right up my alley). My 2020 rewatch did nothing to change my mind. I'll give it another chance soon I am sure.

EDIT: I watched this in January of 2021 and I liked it a lot. Expect it to be higher on next year's ranking.


#62:
Us

After Get Out I really expected to like this movie. But no. It is a completely dull, forgettable film. I watched this back towards the beginning of the year so I don't remember much about it - other than that I was bored by it. Maybe I'll give it another shot someday, but probably not.


#61:
Gangs of New York

I know this may seem like sacrilege to some people, but I didn't like this movie very much. It was overly long and boring. I didn't care much about the time period it was set in. The whole time I was watching it, I kept checking the time to see how much was left. Sorry, not sorry. There are good things about this movie, but I just wasn't a big fan.


#60:
Tomorrow Never Dies

Believe it or not, the only Pierce Brosnan Bond film I had seen prior to watching this was Goldeneye, which I loved. I had heard the rest of them were bad, but I foolishly still expected to like them. I started with Tomorrow Never Dies... and yeah it wasn't very good. I had planned to watch the rest of the Brosnan Bond films but this likely killed my interest in the series.


#59:
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

If Age of Ultron is the weakest MCU movie, this one is not too far behind it. The visuals are great, the soundtrack is great, and there are some fun gags to be found here. But the movie itself feels inconsequential to everything going on in the MCU and I found myself caring very little about the fight between Starlord and his father. Random Dan trivia: my wife and I watched this movie from her hospital room the day after she gave birth to our son Channing.


#58:
There Will be Blood

I have nothing against Daniel Day Lewis, I swear. But this movie suffers the same problem as Gangs of New York with its slow pace and bloated length. This one gets the edge though for being slightly more enjoyable to watch. Cinematography is good too!


#57:
 Toy Story 4

I watched all the Toy Story movies in order, starting with the original Toy Story at the end of 2019 and the rest of the films in 2020. By the time I got to Toy Story 4, I think I was Toy Story-d out for a while and I ended up not really liking it that much. The third movie was a perfect send off. This one felt like it mucked things up a little bit. I am open to giving it another shot in the future, though (and I probably will because I am sure my son is going to want to watch these movies when he gets older).


#56:
Star Trek: Nemesis

This movie gets flak for being one of the worst films in the Star Trek franchise. That flak is well-earned, I must say. There are elements to the film I enjoy, and the fact that I get to see the TNG cast all together again elevates this movie above the others below it in my opinion. But it still isn't very good. And I can't believe they did Data like that.


#55
Climax

I mentioned earlier that I usually love Gaspar Noe films, but this was easily the worst of his movies that I have seen. I like the premise and everything, but I found things just too unbelievable for my tastes. People don't act like that when they're tripping out. They act weird, sure. But completely psychotic and murderous? No. The first half of the movie with all the dancing is really dull too.


#54:
The Lion King (2019)

If you are going to remake a classic movie like the Lion King, at least do something to elevate it or set it apart from the original. This movie did not do that. While I am sure it is a completely okay movie, why watch this when you could watch the original instead? It is so much better.


#53:
Mulan (1998)

Everyone always sings the praises of this movie and how it is one of the better Disney films, but I was relatively unimpressed. Nothing here was anything I haven't seen or read before. I'm sure my opinion would be different if I had grown up with this movie, but I didn't so it won't.


#52:
The Shawshank Redemption

Generally this movie would rank MUCH higher on a list like this. I love this movie! But it all depends on my mood when watching the film and for some reason I just wasn't feeling The Shawshank Redemption when I watched it in 2020. This is a movie that I could easily rewatch in 2021 and have it make my top 5.


#51
Three Men and a Little Lady

I loved the first movie, but I was just meh on this one. It wasn't nearly as funny as the original, and I found myself not caring one bit about the way the plot of this movie went.


#50:
Braveheart

This movie easily ranks in my top 5 movies of all time. It might even be number one! But like with The Shawshank Redemption, it all depends on my mood when watching a film - and I just wasn't feeling Braveheart when I watched it in 2020. I watched this earlier in the year, and with Kobe's death, the pandemic, me getting a new job, and a new baby on the way, I just couldn't dive into this movie like I normally am able to do and found myself quite distracted while watching it.


#49:
Into the Forest

This is different from your normal post-apocalyptic movie. It focuses on a dad and his two daughters who live out in the middle of nowhere when the apocalypse hits. You get to see things spiral out of control not in mass chaos but in a slower more deliberate way. While I liked the movie, it didn't hit very hard with me even though you could tell it was trying to make you cry. It was aiiiight.


#48:
Sorry to Bother You

Just freaking weird. It is stylish and I like the Black Mirror-esque twist, but would I ever say I thought this movie was fantastic? Nah. Entertaining, sure. But not fantastic.


#47:
The Karate Kid III

Clearly the worst of the original Karate Kid movies, but still a fun movie in its own right.


#46:
I Am Not Your Negro

A very well-done documentary, but this isn't a movie you sit down and watch while eating popcorn and hoping for thrills and a good time.


#45:
Rosemary's Baby

A movie where nothing really happens, but is still interesting at the same time. I mean, I KNOW stuff happens but it is still very slow moving and very not obvious with its horror. I didn't find anything about this movie scary.


#44:
Schindler's List

Another one of those movies that you know is extremely well done and carries a powerful message - but at the same time can you really say this movie is "fun" to watch? Maybe I'm just getting older and the times are too dark. Give me escapism, please!


#43: 
Captain America: Civil War

I usually love this movie (in fact it ranked #1 on my list the year it came out), but for some reason I wasn't quite feeling it this time around. Still a great movie though, and where things in the MCU start to get real!

#42:
The Karate Kid II

Honestly, I really expected to like this movie more than I did. I remember reading the novelization when I was a kid, although I had never actually seen the movie before. It was a bit underwhelming to me and didn't carry the same weight the original movie did. 

#41:
Hope Frozen: A Quest to Live Twice


A documentary about a family trying to save their sick daughter by freezing her until a cure becomes available. Interesting movie as it gives you a look into something you only think about in sci fi movies. Still, depressing as shit though.


I guess this is where we'll leave off. Top 40, here we come!


No comments:

Post a Comment