Tuesday, October 6, 2015

My TV show rotation: A weekend in review #6


It has been a while since I have sat down and written out one of these blog entries about my TV show rotation. I'm about to finish with two shows on Netflix (Hell on Wheels and Sense8) and one on my computer (Big Brother 8), so I figured I better do this now and sneak them in while I can.

My rotation is already smaller than it usually is. Plus, these three shows are about to exit left stage. I was thinking that for my next entry, since I will have multiple gaping holes in my rotation, I will watch ten shows I have never seen before and pick out 3 or 4 to add to the rotation. But for now, let's go around for one more trip. One episode from each show that is currently in my rotation.


Season 1
Episode 12
"I Can't Leave Her"


This show is a little bit of a disappointment to me, and I am glad I am almost over with season one. I expected it to be more fast paced and addicting. Instead, it is pretty slow and boring. Things are too drawn out. There is way too much set up and too little of a pay off. It's taken the show makers waaaay too long to really get into the heart of the story. It is like they are more concerned with being artsy than they are with actually providing a compelling story. Some of the characters are interesting, but I don't really have an attachment to any of them. I've stuck with it in the hopes it would get better, but so far it really hasn't.

*watches episode*

This was pretty good. For once I actually felt an emotional connection with one of the characters (Riley). There was some action that was actually relevant to the procession of the story. It still wasn't really gripping or thrilling to me, but it was still a solid episode. Which is good, because if your finale isn't better than an average episode, you are doing something wrong. Hopefully now that things are ramped up a little, season 2 will be better. But I have a feeling it will be more of the same.


Season 31
Episode 1
"Second Chance"

I haven't been this excited for a season of Survivor in a long time. So many former greats coming back to play. And none of them have ever played a second time before. I am expecting nothing less than a fabulous season, so let's hope that it starts with a fabulous episode! And it is starting at just the right time too, right when I am about to finish with Big Brother 8.

*watches episode*

It was just as good as I expected. It's so awesome to see all these old school players playing again. Kimmi, Jeff, and Kelly Wigglesworth were there three I was the most looking forward to see playing, and they got a lot of airtime, Kelly and Jeff in particular. I was a little bummed to see Vytas get voted out. Not because I like him that much, but more because I dislike Abi Maria. Oh well, I don't think she'll be long for the game anyway. Good start, can't wait to see more. Do I have to wait another week to see what happens next? *pouts*


Season 4
Episode 13
"Further West"

Sometimes this show is really good, sometimes it drags and is a little boring. The first half of this season sucked, but the show has steadily gotten better as it has gone along. Two episodes ago with the leg getting sawed off was awesome. The last episode with Ruth letting herself get executed was a great, gut wrenching episode. I'm a little curious to see how they wrap up this season. There are still a lot of loose ends out there. Hopefully it doesn't end with Bohannon getting incarcerated again, because that is getting a little old.

*watches episode*

It was a decent send off to the season. It sets up the show in a totally new direction for season 5, which I am curious to watch. This was definitely an episode of change. Mickey (is that his name) gets run out of town and has to take his hoors with him. Eve tags along as well, as his partner. Chief O'Brien loses even more control to the evil law enforcement guy. I am terrible with names. Bohannon goes back to his family to find Fort Smith abandoned. He heads to Utah to find them, only to discover that the fort had been hit by smallpox and that very few of the Mormons are still alive. He finds a clue that she is "west", which is incredibly vague. But he agrees to work with a rival railroad company heading west, hoping he will find her along the way.

So yes, definitely seems like next season is going to be different than anything we have seen yet. And I hear it is the last season, so I really want to see how they wrap this all up. Make it good, AMC. Make it good.


Season 8
Episode 33
"Finale"


This has been a really great season of Big Brother. In fact, looking back, this is the last season where I can recall being really obsessed with the show. Both seasons with Dan were good, but everything else has been mediocre. I know how the episode ends. I know that Dick wins and everything. But I'm still super excited to finish this up and move on to the next season.

*watches episode*

Adam Gentry is a GOD. I like how the former Suvivor contestant was sitting right up front in the live audience and how he kept mugging for camera time. But it was a great episode. Dick and Daniele gave great jury speeches, but you could tell that Dick was going to win. Dani didn't get enough air time, and it seemed like she got slammed by the majority of the jury. I think that they were just too scared of Dick so they took it out on her. Not really fair, but that's the way society works sometimes.

Also at the finale, Julie Chen revealed the America's Player twist. It was a lot of fun seeing everyone's reactions. I was laughing during the whole segment basically. In the end, Dick was revealed to be the winner, and everyone finally got to mingle with one another and chat in an outside the game context as the season came to a close. I had fun watching it, and now I must move on to BB9. Which I am kind of dreading because I can recall not being too fond of the couples season.


Season 2
Episode 1
"Kaiseki"


As much as I wanted to like the first season of Hannibal it was a little too dry to me, and lacked personality. I mean, it had its good moments and I like all the death and gore, but at the same time I really didn't have that much fun watching. Will season 2 be any better?

*watches episode*

No, not really. This could easily have been a season one episode, not much has changed from last year. The only interesting thing about the episode was the opening scene where Hannibal and Crawford have a bloody, nasty fight. I thought it was a dream at first, but then after the scene it flashes back and says "12 weeks earlier". So clearly something must happen (probably by the end of the season) that exposes Hannibal's guilt. I can't wait to see what that may be. I do have hope for this season yet, although I didn't really love the rest of the episode.


Season 7
Episodes 12 and 13
"The High School Reunion Parts 1 and 2"


Usually when I do this blog thingie I only watch one episode at a time. But I've decided to watch two episodes of this show. Mainly because it was a two parter and I want to finish off the season. I will from this point on be referring to it as just one episode though.

*watches episode*

If you've seen a single episode of this show, you know what to expect from the description of the episode. The gang goes to their high school reunion and makes complete asses of themselves. This is pretty much a one trick pony type of show, but it still somehow manages to be funny as hell every time. Shout out to the guy from Caprica who plays the "cool guy" of the class. I don't think I've seen him in anything else before.


Season 1
Episode 3
"Hong Kong"


Anthony Bourdain is all over TV, but I have never watched a single thing with him in it before. I had heard that he was an A-hole, but so far watching this show I have liked him. The wife and I always like to watch food or traveling shows while we eat dinner, and this show combines both of those interests. It is perfect for us.

*watches episode*

I like the show and it never fails to be interesting, but Hong Kong is not a place I'd really like to visit. It's over crowded, polluted, and the food is mainly gross looking fish stuff. I'm okay with fish and other seafood as long as it doesn't still look like its original form, and you don't have to pick around all the gross stuff while eating it. A lot of this stuff looked icky to me.

At the same time, there were some interesting looking dishes as well. And the cityscape, especially at night, really looked awe inspiring. I'll likely never visit Hong Kong, but at least I know what I would expect if I did because of this show.


Season 4
Episode 9
"Silence in the Library"


Anyone following this blog should know by now that I haven't really been that big a fan of Dr Who. I keep waiting for it to get better, but it has not. I've considered dropping it from my rotation many times, and I may yet still do that. For now it stays. Will this be the episode where I see what everyone else does about the show? Let's find out.

*watches episode*

I actually did enjoy this episode. It wasn't too silly or stupid like some of the past episodes of the show that I have seen and disliked. Sure there was some humor in it, but not enough to distract from the plot. Which was good. I enjoy time travel, and some of the stuff this episode did - like with River Song - was pretty interesting. Sure the whole show is about time travel, but not interesting or mind bending time travel like this. The whole library setting was cool, as was the mystery surrounding the library.

I had fun with this one. And it is a 2 parter too, so I am eager to see how it ends up. Now if only all episodes could be this good. I can't stand the stupid looking aliens that are in a lot of the episodes, and those damn Garlics or whatever they are called. Exterminate!!!! No. This was a good episode. Those type of episodes are not.


Season 1
Episode 4
"New Amsterdam"


A little over a month after finishing Breaking Bad, I decided that there was something wrong with all the shows I was watching. Breaking Bad was the lynchpin of my rotation - something I could always count on to deliver the goods when I just wasn't feeling anything else I was watching. My rotation lacked a show of that caliber, and as a result I kind of grew dissatisfied a little bit. Nothing was keeping my attention, making me want to binge and watch episode after episode after episode.

Now I have heard about Mad Men for several years, but believe it or not I have never watched a single episode. Coming in, I didn't even know what the show was about really. I was hoping it would fill Breaking Bad's spot as my "go to show" in the rotation since I have heard so many great things about it. But so far it is not sticking. I have been watching for 2 weeks now and I am only up to episode 4. I am going to stick with it to see if it improves. But right now I find it kind of dull and aimless. I am waiting for something big to happen yet it never does. There are some good things about it though. Let's see how I feel about this episode.

*watches episode*

It's taken me a little while, but I have actually started to warm up to the show. I think the problem is that I came in expecting something similar to Breaking Bad, but what I ended up getting was something completely different. The show is a little slow moving. Some of the characters are hard to like. But the more I watch the more I start to see them as real people. For example, Pete - who I hated after the first episode or two - has started to become a more complex character that I can sympathize with.

Even though there isn't a whole lot going on as far as drama or suspense, the show instills in me a sense of voyeurism like I am watching something that actually happened. Even when there is not much going on, it is still interesting to watch. Hopefully whatever was holding me back after the first 3 episodes has broken, and I can finally enjoy the rest of the show as everyone else out there seems to do. I hear it only gets better from here, so I look forward to seeing what this show has in store for me.


Season 2
Episode 14
"Innocence"


In my opinion this show has improved by leaps and bounds from the first season. But still for whatever reason I just never seem to be in the mood to watch this show whenever I am bored and looking for something to watch. I am waiting for that really great episode, or the story arc that spans multiple episodes to kick in and grip me and make me want to binge watch this show. So far it hasn't happened. I have heard that this is one of the better episodes, so let's see how I feel about it.

*watches episode*

This episode was pretty much more of the same from Buffy. It wasn't the world's greatest episode but it didn't suck either. Try as I may, I just can't really seem to be able to get into the show. I've heard that this is one of the better episodes, but if this was the best the show has to offer, I don't know how long I can keep watching it. I mean, it wasn't bad. But I know that there are so many other shows out there that I would enjoy a lot more than this. I judge a lot of shows by how eager I am to watch another episode when I finish with one. And I really have no urge to rush out and watch another one. It will probable be another few weeks before I continue this show.


Season 2
Episode 2
"P911"


This is a show that has grown on me the more I've watched it. It's not really a binge worthy show, since there is no continuing story line and each episode is pretty much self contained. I actually haven't seen an episode in a while now, as I took a long break from the show after finishing season 1. The finale was a 2 parter so I watched the first episode of season 2 right away as well. But now, the break is over and we soldier on. Will season 2 be as good as the first season?

*watches episode*

This was good. The episode centered around the search for a missing boy whose image has surfaced in an internet video clip. The clock is counting down, leading the team to believe that the boy is being auctioned off to the highest bidder. It's a race against the clock to find him and save him before he is lost for good.

Like I said, it was a good episode. They always catch the killer or solve the crime before the end of the episode, so the outcome was never in doubt. I hope they change it up one of these days and let the unsub get away just to make it more realistic, or set up an appearance by the game unsub later in the show. But I don't know if they're going to do that. I liked it though. This isn't a show that I watch too often, but every time I do it is always solid.


Season 3
Episode 10 
"Chuck Versus the Tic Tac"


This isn't my favorite show of all time but it is fun and lighthearted and good for a watching every once in a while. It will never be a top of the line rotation show for me as I am not interested in the plot enough. But at least it is easy to follow and it never bores me, which the same can not be said for a number of shows that are currently in my rotation.

*watches episode*

I wasn't really feeling it this time around. It was still a good episode. Casey got a lot of airtime, and we finally got to learn more about his mysterious past. It is easier to understand him now that we know what he was forced to give up to become a spy. But it still wasn't thrilling to me.

I do like this show, but it is kind of hard for me to take seriously. I like dark, serious stuff like Breaking Bad and Dexter. I like sci fi such as Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek. I like personal character driven dramas. The show is good and I can appreciate it, but it just isn't something that I would gravitate towards normally. I'll likely see it to the end but it will never be anything more than an occasional fun diversion for me.


Season 3
Episode 9
"Hunt for Ziro"


This show has been making an appearance on my blog pretty much from the beginning, when I first started doing my TV show rotation entries. By now you should know what I think about it. It's okay. I probably wouldn't like it if it wasn't Star Wars. I am not too crazy about it, but I'm sticking with it for now. It is likely not ever going to get any better, but being a big Star Wars fan I am curious to see how the end of this series links with the beginning of Revenge of the Sith.

*watches episode*

This was an above average episode. I don't love the show, as I said. But I had fun watching this one. There were some fun plot twists, we got to see a lot more of the Hutts, and that annoying ass Ziro finally got killed off. I like what they did here. This was less of a typical "things blowing up" episode and actually had a decent plot for once. More episodes like this one please!


Season 2
Episode 27 
"The Mind and the Matter"


I've been skipping around this show, watching the episodes that sound interesting first and saving the rest for later. This is the last one I have yet to watch from season 2. When I am done with this one, I am going to head back to season 1 and start mopping up those episodes as well. But yay, an actual full season of this show will be in the books. Can't wait to be done with it!

*watches episode*

There is a reason I put off watching this episode for so long. It didn't sound interesting - and it turned out to be not that interesting. The episode was about a guy who disliked other people. He read a book about mind over matter, and used it to craft the world to his own will. He eliminated all people from his life, along with other things that annoyed him. Of course, being the Twilight Zone, this didn't last forever. The people came back, except this time they all came back acting like him - hating other people and complaining about them.

Lesson learned, everything reverted back to normal and the episode ended. I didn't really get the point of this episode too much. On the whole it didn't make a whole lot of sense. He kept seeing visions of some guy who was trying to teach him a lesson, but I must have missed who that guy was. I guess I get the "lesson" of the episode. But I did kinda stop paying attention halfway through. So as a result I didn't think it wasn't great.


Season 3
Episode 14
"Grotesque"


As much as I wanna like the X-Files I just find it really hard to get into the show. It is weird because I do recall liking it when I was younger. I don't know if it is because it feels dated or what. But I've been struggling to get through it. I've been watching for nearly 3 years now and I am only up to season 3. And there are still so many seasons left. Gah! Maybe it will click soon. If not, I am going to take a long, LONG break from the show at the end of the season.

*watches episode*

Well.... it was an okay episode. I guess. The episode mainly dealt with a killer who claims to be possessed by a demon. After he gets incarcerated, another killing surfaces, leading Mulder to believe that the demon has jumped to somebody else. To be truthful, I can't really tell you much more about the plot of this one. I started playing Paradise Bay on my phone while watching this and then before I knew it the episode was over.

It seemed like a better X-Files episode than normal, but still it wasn't enough to really capture my attention. I think I am going to have to come to grips that this show just isn't for me.


Season 1
Episode 15
"Blinders"

I do actually like this show a lot. I can't figure out why it is taking me so long to get through it. Every time I watch an episode, I really enjoy it. Maybe it is just not "exciting" enough for me? Could also be because I have so many other shows I also watch that I just never think of this. I like the characters, love all the personal drama. It is a well acted show. Maybe this is the episode that will get me back in the groove of watching this more often.

*watches episode*

This was a good episode, I think. I need to stop playing Paradise Bay while watching shows, because I can not multi task AT ALL! Anyway, the episode focused on one of the assistant coaches making a racial remark that black players aren't smart enough to play quarterback or something along those lines. This causes controversy and a rift to form between the team's black and white players.

A side story in the episode is a powderpuff football contest taking place between two teams of girls. Saracen is the leader of one of the teams, and he doesn't take his girlfriend Julie until the third pick - which makes her mad at him and treat him like shit over it. Also, Lyla and Tyra wind up on opposite team and have each other's number.

So like I said - good episode. I just wish I had paid closer attention to it.


Season 6
Episode 15
Mr Nice Guy


Here we go with this show. Again, not one of my favorites. I could be doing better things with my time than wasting it on this. But I loved it as a kid and I feel I owe it to me as a child to see it through to the end. I'll get there, but I am going to take my sweet time to do it. I've been watching for over 5 years now and I still have 53 episodes of this shit left. Maybe I will get lucky and it will somehow accidentally get deleted from my computer. I doubt I'll care enough to download it again.

*watches episode*

1 down, 52 to go! This one wasn't that bad though. Raphael accidentally gets his personality changed by one of Donatello's inventions. He becomes sickeningly nice, even assisting criminals to escape from the scene of a crime because he just wants to help. The Turtles send him to a shrink to see what is wrong with him, and the shrink finds out about Donatello's invention.

Raphael steals it and gives it to the shrink, who uses it to start going on a crime spree. Eventually the Turtles wise up to what is going on - steal the ray back - and turn Raphael back to normal. For an episode of TMNT, this was pretty good. The plot was fun, there was none of the usual stupidity that comes from characters like Rocksteady and Bebop. I enjoyed myself. I still can't wait for this show to be over, but at least I wasn't miserable this time around.



---



Well, another trip through the rotation complete! Sense8 and Hell on Wheels are about to get dropped since there are no more available episodes on Netflix. Big Brother 8 is also over. And I plan on taking a break from It's Always Sunny since I have finished with the season.

That will take 4 shows off of my rotation. I will probably add How I Met Your Mother back to the rotation since I've had a long enough break between seasons 2 and 3. That will leave my rotation at 14 shows. I like to have 19 in the rotation, so I need to add 5.

As mentioned earlier - next week I may watch the first episode of 10 different shows and write a blog entry about them. Then I will pick the 5 I liked best and add them to my rotation. My rotation needs some flavor because a lot of these shows I am just kind of "meh" about. Hopefully this does the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment