Monday, October 31, 2022

Video Game Review #414: Gunstar Super Heroes

Gunstar Super Heroes
Game Boy Advance




Nostalgia Factor:

I have nothing to be nostalgic about with this review, for once in my life. I didn't own a Game Boy Advance growing up. I had never played a Gunstar Heroes game until earlier this year. Regarding the Game Boy Advance version of the game, this is the first time I'm even hearing about it. My only experience with the series so far is when I played the Genesis game about three months ago. I didn't really like it, much to my surprise.

Loyal readers of this blog know that I'm trying to play through at least one game from each year of my life, in order of the years of my life. Starting in 1982, I'm now up to 2005. I only decided to play this because I needed to play through a quick and easy game from 2005. I want to be done with this little side project of mine, so I am going to try to power my way through it until I hit 2022 as quickly as I possibly can.




Story:

I'm struggling here. I always try to write my reviews without having to actually research these games. I try to base things off of my own memory as much I possibly can. The problem with that? I have no idea what was happening with this game's story. I just finished it a few days ago and already I can barely remember anything.

I was able to gather that this game takes place even further into the future than the first Gunstar Heroes. There are powerful gems that everyone is trying to get. You fight the bad guys for control of the gems. A weak narrative pushes things forward, but the game seems to focus more on being goofy and funny than actually delivering a compelling narrative. Ultimately, the game's story doesn't really matter much since it is still fun to play otherwise. But it needs to be pointed out that there is absolutely nothing special happening here storywise.




Gameplay:

This premise of the game is very similar to that of its Genesis predecessor. You run. You jump. You shoot things. You collect items. You upgrade your weapons. You fight a boss. You move onto the next stage.

The biggest difference I noticed is that you no longer have the ability to combine weapons. You have three different weapon types you can toggle back and forth between. Determining which weapons are best suited for which enemies and being able to switch back and forth between them in the heat of battle is a big part of the game's strategy. It may seem like a lot of mindless running and jumping and shooting, but there's a little bit of surprising depth here.

I don't know what it is about this game versus the Genesis version of Gunstar Heroes, but I had a much more fun time with this game than I did the original. The gameplay seems a little bit more forgiving, especially when it comes to letting you pick up closer to where you die, when you inevitably kick the bucket too many times playing through this game.

When I died and was forced to restart a particular level or area, I often found that I was able to use what I'd learned the first time through and make it onto the next stage. The fact that there are save points makes this whole game so much less daunting. You don't have to worry about playing the game from the beginning if you can't make it through it in one sitting.

I really enjoyed the changes to the game. I found this version of Gunstar Heroes to be so much more accessible than the first. I am probably the only person in the universe with this opinion, but I much prefer this game to the original, actually.




Graphics:

I have to tip my hat to the Game Boy Advance once again for delivering to me a very outstanding looking game. I've heard the system described as a "Super Nintendo II" in spirit, and I'm beginning to come around to that statement.

The characters and the settings of the game are bright and colorful. The sprite animation is beautiful. The effects are terrific. The world of the game is just bursting with life and energy. You can tell they had a lot of fun designing this one.

This title would have looked right at home on the Sega Genesis. In fact, this may be even a little better than Genesis quality. Growing up in the 16 bit era, it's crazy for me to think that a handheld system would someday be able to surpass a home console.




Sound:

I took note as I was playing this game that I was digging the music and the overall presentation of the game. But looking back on my time with it, nothing in particular stands out to me. No tunes to hum. No basic melodies come to mind. I remember nothing. And that's kind of a problem I had with the first Gunstar Heroes. It's got a good soundtrack, at least I think it does. But why can't I remember any of it?

Luckily, this doesn't mean much in my book.




Overall:

I'm pleasantly surprised with this game. Maybe it's because I came into this with such low expectations, anything above failing would have impressed me, But I don't think so. I legitimately had a really good time with this game, so much more so than the Genesis one.

Do I see myself coming back and playing this game in the next few years? How I answer this question is always important to me. And I would say yes. I had a good time with this game. It's fun and accessible. Not as frustrating as the first. And I enjoyed learning from my mistakes and doing better with each passing attempt.

I think this will be a fun two player game as well, and I can't wait to sit down with my son when he's old enough and fire this one up. 




THE GRADE:
B




40th Birthday Mop Up Duty Celebration Tour:




1986:


1987:


1988:


1989:


1990:


1991:


1992:


1993:


1994:


1995:


1996:


1997:


1998:


1999:


2000:


2001:


2002:


2003:


2004:


2005:
Gunstar Super Heroes (the review you're reading)


Next up we move onto 2006 with my review of:
Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins for the PSP!



For a complete index of all my past posts and game reviews, click


No comments:

Post a Comment