Saturday, November 7, 2015

Season 1, Episode 1, Day 3

I have a busy schedule today including work, so let's see how many shows I can get down in the limited amount of time I have before work. I'm a perfect 7/7 in liking everything I've given a shot so far, so let's hope that luck carries over to today.



Episode 1
"Always There"


I have heard nothing but good things about this show. I have been wanting to see this for a while now. I've heard it is vastly under rated and one of the best things out there right now. The premise sounds interesting. A man gets out of jail after 20 years, when new DNA evidence proves he was falsely accused of rape and murder. Now he is struggling to adjust to life outside. I am sure there is more to the story than this. Only way to find out is to watch.

*watches episode*

8 for 8! I thought this show was really good. It tells what appears to be a clear story, has sympathetic characters, and has that special, hard to describe "hook" that makes you want to keep on watching. There is more to the story than I described in the premise. Despite the DNA evidence, there are still lingering questions about his participation or guilt in the murder. Plus he kind of has this awkward, stunted, robotic quality to his speech patterns. Not everyone has welcomed him back with open arms.

I like the family on this show, in particular his sister (although her name, Amantha, drives me nuts!). The story of Daniel's reintegration is interesting enough, but the show also lets us know that there are people out there who DO have an idea of what happened with the murder but aren't saying anything. So there is a whole mystery angle to the show too. I love it and can't wait to see more.



Episode 1
"Pilot"


I'm not huge on comedies, but I do like having 1 or 2 of them in my rotation to keep things light. The other 2 comedies I am watching - How I Met Your Mother and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, are good but I'm not too overly gung-ho about them. Thought I'd give this a try and see if it can supplant one of those two shows in my rotation.

*watches episode*

When I first started watching this, my initial reaction was that I finally hit a clunker this weekend. However, the more I watched, the more I began to like this show. By the time it ended, I was sold. Stylistically I like the show. There is no corny laugh track. The jokes and scenarios in the show are actually funny and made me laugh on multiple occasions while watching this. I almost never laugh when watching those other shows that I mentioned previously.

The show is about a teenager struggling with a low class, white trash family. On an errand to the store, he rescues a woman on the run from a man and she thanks him by fucking him. He finds out the next day that she was on the run from the law for killing her boyfriends, and the family turns her into the authorities. Before she is to be executed, she drops the bombshell that he had impregnated her during their one night together. He is forced to take care of the baby by himself after she, well, gets executed.

A lot of fish out of water comedy here, as the boy struggles to raise this little girl while dealing with his whacky, trashy family at the same time. I thought this was a lot of fun. It had a little bit of an Arrested Development feel to it. This will definitely supplant How I Met Your Mother in my rotation. It is light years better than that show, and one that I will actually watch more than 1 episode every 2 months.



Episode 1
"Part 1"


Here is a show that has interested me since the moment it came on to Netflix. I have heard it is good, but slow moving. So I kind of put it on the back burner for a while. I have a feeling that of all the shows I have watched so far this weekend, this one might be the odd 1 out when looking for new ones to add to my rotation. We shall see.

*watches episode*

Well, surprise surprise. I liked it. It is a bit slow moving, but never at any point was I thinking OMG this is boring. It is very interesting. Lots of good characters. You knew the whole time that something had happened with this family, but you don't really know what. Then the episode hits you with a bombshell at the very end. So was there another brother that hadn't been mentioned? Was it a flash forward? I guess I'll have to watch more to find out.

Simple recap: a family owns a beach side resort thingamajig. They are dedicated to the community, and on the 45th anniversary of the resort they hold a huge party to celebrate their success and also to celebrate the fact that there is going to be land named after the family for all their hard work.

One of the sons is a problem child who rarely comes around and when he does, he always asks for money or a favor. He also gets wasted a lot and has problems with the law. Most of the episode deals with his antics around the family. During all this, we get a little glimpse into the lives of the family and learn that there is a deadly secret which is being kept.

I really want to see more. But with me being 10 out of 10 with liking all the new shows I have given a shot, I don't know when I'll be able to find time for this. It is going to be a very hard process indeed picking out 5 new shows from this batch to add to my rotation. Very hard.

Looks like 3 shows was all I had time for this morning. I'll be busy tomorrow too, but I look to update this with at least 2 more shows before the weekend lets out.

No comments:

Post a Comment