Sunday, January 15, 2017

Dan's 2016 Movie Ranking: #30 to #21

The ranking rolls on. Today's installment pushes us from the top 30 to the top 20. Enjoy!



----




#30


I was a big fan of the book. Normally I don't expect movie adaptations to be as good as the source material, but I was hoping for a pleasant surprise here. A pleasant surprise which I did not get.

I am not saying this is a bad movie. Not by any stretch of the imagination. It wouldn't have made it to #30 if it was bad. It just wasn't as good as the book. I expected a lot of hard hitting emotional moments, and for some reason they didn't come for me. This movie had a lot of sad moments and I am sure it made a ton of people who watched it cry their eyes out, but for some reason it didn't have much of an effect on me.

I could be that I was spoiled by the book. It could be the movie's fault for not doing things right. Maybe I am just a heartless bastard. I enjoyed the movie overall and would recommend it to anyone, but it just didn't have the emotional impact I was hoping for. I really wanted to love the movie and have it in my top 5. Instead it will have to settle for top 30.



#29


This movie's Cinderalla run on my list is finally over. I will admit that this is not a world changing movie. It won't win any awards, probably didn't gather much critical acclaim. But it is fun and that is all I care about.

A group of strangers from all walks of life find themselves falling through the sky towards a strange alien world. Some make it to the surface safely. Some.... splat! The survivors quickly band together and find themselves being hunted by a pack of Predators. In movies past, the Predators have hunted on Earth. In this movie, they bring their prey to an alien world, drop them off, and hunt them.

It is interesting seeing the cast of characters in action. They are all predators themselves, actually. Soldiers, criminals, even a sexual predator. Not necessarily all good people. They are forced to band together to combat their stalkers and find a way off the planet.

Lots of action. Some good sci-fi moments. Shout outs to the original Predator film. I found this movie to be a lot of fun. I recognize its flaws and realize that this is probably too high a ranking for this film, but I don't care. I liked it.



#28


This low-ish ranking doesn't necessarily reflect my opinion on Star Wars: A New Hope. It is a great movie, the movie that got me hooked on Star Wars to begin with. You've read this a few times already on this ranking, but I will say it again. It is simply that I have seen the movie too many times. I love the movie, but you can only watch something so many times before you start to not enjoy it as much anymore.

I only watched this because I had just watched Rogue One and I wanted to see how the two tied together. Very well, as a matter of fact. But if it was not for Rogue One, I probably wouldn't have watched this for a few years, simply because I am TOO familiar with the movie.



#27


This movie is based on a short story by Stephen King of the same name: Big Driver. I had just finished reading the story when I heard about the movie, so it was only natural that I check the movie out.

Surprisingly, this was actually a good adaptation. Hollywood has this way of messing up Stephen King's work when they move it to the big screen. But I liked this. It is a loyal adaptation. Even though this was made for TV (the Lifetime Network, lol) it isn't watered down at all. There's violence, there are dead bodies. The tone isn't quite as dark as the short story, but close enough.

The movie is about a woman who is brutally raped and left for dead in a drainpipe (next to the bodies of some other not so fortunate past victims). She wakes up and uses her sleuthing skills to track down the man and take her revenge on him. There are some clever twists and turns along the way. It is a fun movie and I would suggest it to anyone into this kind of thing. It's a wee bit forgettable in the long run, but still I enjoyed it while I watched it.



#26


I have heard a countless number of jokes and references to this movie over the years, but until 2016 I had never actually seen it. Now I have.

It is a pretty simple story for anyone who has been a regular fan of thriller movies for the past 20 years. A group of guys go on a rafting trip through hillbilly country. Guys fight hillbillies, people get hurt and die, guys flee. The premise is familiar enough, but the execution of the movie is what makes it stand out.

It is a very well done movie. The film's creepy tone is set early on in the film with the now infamous banjo playing scene. The movie really takes a turn for the disturbing during the guys' first run in with the dangerous hillbillies out in the wild. The whole intimidation/rape scene is enough to make anyone squirm uncomfortably in their seat. And from then on the movie is one big adrenaline rush as the protagonists try to escape to safety.

I enjoyed Deliverance but I do not think it is a flawless movie. There are some very slow parts. The characters are not the most likable group of guys. The whole concept of the film is something I have seen 100 times before. I am sure that, given the age of this film, this was one of the first movies of its kind. But it still doesn't change the fact that I didn't see it until 2016. I've seen Wrong Turn, The Hills Have Eyes, and several other movies with dangerous hillbillies who hunt people. So the shock value of Deliverance has lost a little bit with me.

I can appreciate, though, that this was a mold breaking movie when it originally came out.



#25


I had just finished binge watching all 6 seasons of Walking Dead before season 7 when I decided to watch this movie. I had zombies on the brain, apparently.

I had seen this movie before, but it had been years since my last viewing of it. So a lot of the jokes and scenarios in this movie were fresh with me, as if I were seeing them for the first time. This movie works in multiple ways. It works as a comedy and it works as a zombie flick. And that is important because if it had failed in either aspect, it probably wouldn't have been a big a hit as it became.

The film has a lot of great characters, and it is fun watching them play off of one another. My favorite part of the whole movie has to be when they go to Bill Murray's house and run into him there. That whole sequence of events is just hilarious to me.

There is never a dull moment in the film. Something funny or something violent is happening every minute. And that is good for a guy with a short attention span like me. My only complaint has to be that the movie is too short. I don't believe it is even an hour and a half. It is like one big tease. I wanted more!



#24


This is a movie that gets destroyed by both critics and fans alike. I don't know why so many people hate this movie. I never read any of the Dredd comics, so I guess coming in with no expectations helps. Sure the acting isn't necessarily great, but it doesn't have to be in a movie like this.

This movie is all about over the top action and suspense, with a little bit of humor thrown in on the side. If you put away your critic hat and just sit back and watch the movie for what it is, you will find that it is actually a really fun movie. I liked the characters. I found the story line to be pretty engaging and fun. I never got bored. Sure it can be a little cheesy in parts, but I find that it adds to the film's charm. I liked it a lot.

This movie is all about fun. Don't be snobby. Relax and enjoy it, people.



#23


I'm not generally a big fan of war movies, but Saving Private Ryan has always been one of my favorites. If you are looking for realistic representations of combat, you need look no further. This movie has some of the most intense and brutal depictions of combat you will see in a movie.

One of the films first scenes, the storming of Omaha Beach at Normandy, is one of the most intense film scenes you will ever witness. That scene alone makes the movie worth the price of admission. It is very brutal and will leave your heart racing.

The movie has a lot of other great battle scenes as well. And that is my top complaint about the film. There is so much fighting it actually starts to get boring after a while. And I feel that the story line often takes a back seat to all of the fighting going on.

It is a great movie, I just didn't feel as emotionally attached to the characters as I should. Most of them die throughout the course of the movie, and eventually its just like "oh there goes another one." These deaths I feel should hit you a lot harder. Platoon I feel does a great job of connecting you with the characters. This one, not so much.



#22


This is one of those "films about nothing" that for some reason or another seems to work. An estranged brother visits his family in California, and takes his brother with him on a sight seeing trip to a bunch of locations famous for being associated with the Manson killings. The main goal of the trip is for bonding purposes.

The two brothers end up going back and forth between quarreling and loving one another. You find out that there is history between the two. As the film progresses, you find out that the weirdo brother has been obsessed with the Manson killings and is looking to join up with other people who are obsessed and are trying to restart "the family". The good brother sees that this is dangerous and attempts to talk him out of it.

Its a family drama for the most part. There is some humor in the movie, there are emotional moments. The tone of the film reminds me of Little Miss Sunshine for some reason. If you liked that movie and are also interested in Manson stuff, like me, you should enjoy this film. It is an under noticed gem.


#21



Just because this is ranked ahead of A New Hope doesn't mean that I think it is the better movie. I just want to be clear about that! Simply put, I had a better experience watching this move in 2016. So it ranks higher.

I've seen A New Hope a countless number of times. This movie I have only seen 3 or 4 times. So it is newer and fresher for me. Easier to enjoy.

It doesn't hurt that I find this movie to be the best of the prequel trilogy, easily. The action is better. Its not as corny (well, it can be in parts). The story finally starts making sense. And the darker tone of the movie in general is better than the childish/goofy tone of the first 2 films.

I had fun watching this. I only kind of half-watched A New Hope. Thats why this gets the higher ranking.









Top 20 in my next update. Here are the movies that are still in the hunt:
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
American Sniper
Creed
The Revenant
No Good Deed
The Night of the Living Dead
Coming to America
American History X
Darkman
Quills
Platoon
Green Room
Captain America: Civil War
10 Cloverfield Lane
The Shallows
Funny Games
The Nightmare
The Rock
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

No comments:

Post a Comment