Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2016 Movie Ranking: Forming the Top 50

So as you all know (or may not know depending on if you have been following this blog or not) I have been slowly working my way up to this moment. I have been keeping track of every movie I've watched in 2016, and each month I have been selecting 5 movies to advance to my ultimate year end ranking. In this year end ranking, I will rank these movies from worst to first, depending on how much I enjoyed watching them.

12 months, 5 movies a month. That brings us to a total of 60 movies. Not that I have anything wrong with the number 60, it is a fine number. But I think 50 has a better ring to it. So I am now going to rank my 50 favorite movies watched in 2016.

But what about those other 10 movies, you may ask? I am going to eliminate them right off the bat. Some movies made my top 60 that didn't deserve to make the top 60. They only made it because of a lack of other options. For example, in July I only watched 6 movies. So 5 of them were automatically going to advance even if I felt like they didn't necessarily deserve it. So now is a time to trim the dead weight.

I won't draw this out or make it dramatic or anything. I am just going to cut them with only a brief explanation. The movies that made my top 60 but will NOT advance to the top 50 are:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (fell asleep during this, missed some things which made it hard to follow. Planned to rewatch but never did)
The Visit (run of the mill horror movie)
Elysium (looks nice, but cliched plot and forgettable characters)
Snowpiercer (nice concept, but kind of hokey)
Crimson Peak (only made the top 60 because of a lack of other choices)
Krampus (ditto)
Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter (decent movie, but nothing really sets it apart from all the other Friday the 13ths)
The Martian (too distracted and couldn't get into it. I'll probably like it more if I ever rewatch it)
Edge of Tomorrow (seen it before, not as good the second time)
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (my least favorite LoTR movie)





I wish I could say that those cuts were tough, but they really weren't. That leaves us with 50! Wait, let me count....

Yeah, 50!

Tomorrow I will begin ranking the remaining films. 10 more will be cut, 40 will move on. Which film will win my ultimate year end ranking? Stay tuned.


Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Cake
American Sniper
Predator
Friday the 13th Part II
Locke
Evil Dead
Room
Manson Family Vacation
Deadpool
Goodnight, Mommy
Unforgiven
Big Driver
Pixels
JFK: The Smoking Gun
It
Creed
The Revenant
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith
No Good Deed
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Night of the Living Dead
Mad Max: Fury Road
Forrest Gump
The Little Rascals
Deliverance
Zombieland
Coming to America
American History X
Ghostbusters (2016)
Darkman
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
ARQ
Quills
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
Green Room
Captain America: Civil War
10 Cloverfield Lane
Circle
Would You Rather
The Shallows
Funny Games
The Nightmare
Judge Dredd
The Rock
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Predators
Star Wars: A New Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment