Wednesday, January 6, 2016

2015 Movie Ranking: #85 to #71

Part 3 of my ultimate movie ranking for 2015. We scratch another 15 movies of the list as we count down from #85 down to #71. In this update we finally start to move away from movies I didn't like or was indifferent to, to movies that I thought were okay.

That's a step up, right? I never knew I was so hard to please!



#85

I had heard a few things about this movie before giving it a try. Seems like a lot of people on Facebook were watching this and saying how scary it was. I am always one for a good scare, so I gave it a go.

Suffice it to say I was a little dissappointed. I liked the premise of the movie. I like the discovery of the book, and how things are set up with the little kid. I thought the kid was the creepiest part of the movie. And the most annoying too. I wanted to throttle the brat more times than I could count.

Despite the film's promising start, it quickly devolved into a typical horror movie full of cliches that we have seen a countless number of times before. I sound like a broken record with these blog entries, but my mind started to drift away and I pulled out my phone and started playing games on it halfway through the movie. I am a horrible human being.

Anyway, the movie did have some strong points, and may have ranked higher if the ending wasn't so stupid. That doomed it this low ranking, I fear.


#84

If you would have told me that this movie would rank as low as it has before I went and saw it, I would have said you were crazy. I loved all the other Hunger Games movies. Having read the books, I knew how the series ended. I thought that for sure this would be a can't miss adaption given how the first three movies in the series went.

I just really couldn't get into it. I saw it in the theater, so it is not like I had a ton of distractions. I wasn't playing on my phone. I was just...bored.  Which I would never have guessed possible from a Hunger Games movie. I think they would have been better off for quality purposes making Mockingjay into one movie as opposed to two. It feels too drawn out. They linger too long on shit I don't care about.

When they do storm the Capitol, things aren't as I pictured from the book. The whole final assault is very underwhelming. And they really botched Prim's death, I think. Katniss spies her for a second before she blows up. And then it is like - huh? What happened? I know what happened because I read the books, but casual fans I could see being confused. They had a great chance for a big emotional moment in this film, and completely botched it.

I did enjoy the scene later on in the movie when Katniss freaks out at the cat. That brought a tear to my eye. But that was one of the few highlights of the film for me.


#83

I am all for scary movies. They don't necessary have to contain a lot of gore or jump scares, anything like that. Just give me a creepy ass house, or some kind of malevolent psychological undertone and I am good to go.

This movie does do a lot of things right as far as horror and what I look for in these kind of movies. On a whole though, I thought the story was a little mundane. Cliche abounds in the story as well. Woman who was done wrong passes a lethal curse on down through the generations. You don't say!!!

I did enjoy the tone of the movie. I was legit creeped out on a few occasions. And I did enjoy the unhappy ending. But on the whole - eh. It was good but nothing I am ever going to want to watch again, most likely.


#82

This particular blog entry is very YA heavy apparently, as you will see.

I have read all the Divergent books, but they aren't my favorite series in the world. Give me Hunger Games or Maze Runner any day of the week. But still, I wanted to see the movies just to see how they measured up. See how the world of the books was presented on the big screen.

I liked the first movie, but the second one - not so much. This movie is very simulation heavy. It seems like almost all the action takes place in the simulations and not in the real world. In the real world, nothing really seems to be happening. I did get a little bored watching this. I was tapping my finger, waiting for something exciting to happen.

And it never really did. I will still probably finish watching this film series when it concludes, but I must temper my expectations. I didn't like it that much as a book series and I have similar thoughts about the movie series. It is just okay.


#81

I had heard that this movie was supposed to be completely bad ass. I suppose there are some bad ass things in the movie - but on the whole I wasn't enthralled by it. This is about a guy who shows up at the door of a family who had a son who died overseas in the war. He claims to be a friend of the son's, and stays with the family for a while. He does good things, like help the little boy who is being picked on. But at the same time you get the feeling he isn't what he seems to be.

It was a decent film. I was amused. That seems to be the theme of this particular blog entry. It didn't blow me away but I didn't hate it either. Now that I think back on it, I can't really remember what happens at the end. So it has the whole "forgettable" thing working against it. I guess that is my main problem with the film. While it was decent and had its moments - on the whole it was nothing we haven't really seen before.

It was okay.


#80

I have seen this movie a bunch of times now, and it stands as my clear cut favorite Disney movie. I was one of those weird kids that had absolutely no interest in Disney movies when I was growing up until I saw the Lion King and fell in love with it.

I am still not a huge Disney fan, but every once in a while I will throw this in for a rewatch. One of the big draws of this movie is its emotional pull on the viewer - Mufasa's death, everything that happens afterward.

However it is getting to the point where I have seen this movie so many times that it has lost its emotional pull on me. And that is the main reason for this movie's low ranking. Without that emotional connection the movie isn't the same. And I did get a little bit bored watching this. I guess its time to shelf this movie for a long while.



#79

And here we have another case of "I have seen this movie so many times it is starting to lose its magic for me". Earlier in 2015 I had read a book about the making of the original Indiana Jones trilogy. It inspired me to watch all the old movies again. I didn't bother with Temple of Doom since I had JUST seen that in 2014. So I watched Raiders and this movie. While Raiders still was fun and still felt fresh, I just wasn't feeling the Last Crusade.

I know it is still a good movie, and it has withstood the test of time. I can see that, But quickly my mind started to wander and I began to play games on my phone. I can't really explain it. I like this movie. And of all the Indiana Jones movies, it is the one I am probably the least familiar with. So you would think my attention would have been fully focused on the film.

I don't know. The older I get the worse this problem has become for me, lol.


#78

I had recently just finished reading the Maze Runner book when I decided to give the movie a shot. The movie does change some things from the book. Every movie does. Things are simplified, things are not quite how I pictured them to be. But the basic story is the same.

I really, really tried to get into the movie and enjoy it but for whatever reason I couldn't. I had literally JUST finished reading the book so perhaps things were a little too fresh in my mind to enjoy this. I am not someone who is a big fan of repeat experiences, unless the subject material is outstanding (see Game of Thrones or Hunger Games). While the movie did differ from the book, a lot of it was similar, which may have been the issue with me. And plus only in rare circumstances are movie versions better than the books. That likely played a part if I felt it didn't measure up.

I do plan to see this again in the future especially now that there is a sequel. Maybe with the book not so fresh on my mind I will like it more.


#77

Another Disney movie on this update. As mentioned in my Lion King ranking, I was never a huge Disney fan as a kid. So believe it or not - I never watched the Little Mermaid until 2015. That's right, I made it to 33 years of age before watching this movie. Everyone has seen this movie, haven't they? 

While it was the first time I had seen the movie, I still knew its basic concept, so nothing that happened here was any surprise to me. The story is good. The animation still holds up after all these years. And my main issue with Disney movies (the singing) is for once tolerable here. Don't tell anyone, but I actually like Part of That World.

I had a decent time watching this, but it was not anything earth shattering for me. Like I said, I knew the basic concept, so everything that happened here was pretty predictable. It is an okay movie.


#76

I was really hoping that I would like this movie since I love sci fi and space exploration. Visually, the film is really excellent. And this movie is very creative, you can't deny it that. It goes places I have never seen in other sci fi movies.

My problem with it is twofold. The length is my main issue, which leads into the second issue. I think this is about 3 hours long, which is about 1 hour too long for me. Some movies can pull off being this long because they are so good you don't even notice the length. This is not one of those kind of movies. I was really, really bored during a lot of this. And that is my second issue.

Interstellar does a lot of good things, and could have possibly been a great movie. But it dragged and dragged and dragged and eventually became kind of a chore to watch. I wasn't a fan of the ending either. WTF is that shit? What just happened? Maybe if I hadn't been half put to sleep by its length and dullness I would have been able to make more sense of it.

It sounds like I am severely bashing this movie, which I guess I kind of am. But the film does do so many good things creatively that overall I think back on it in a more positive light than I do negative.

I would watch this again, now that I know what to expect.


#75

I have always liked this movie. It is on the verge of becoming one of those movies I have seen too many times to enjoy, but it is not quite there yet. Almost.

I don't know what else to say. It is a good solid movie. Great characters. The pie eating contest story is still as gross and as funny as ever. There are a lot of emotional moments in the movie - but like I said this is a film I have seen quite a few times now. Those emotional moments don't really hit home like they used to anymore. Those moments are what makes this movie so great. And without them - the movie was just okay.


#74

I had never even heard of this movie until my wife brought it home a few weeks before Christmas. At first I was like um, no thanks. This is totally not my cup of tea. But the more I watched it, the more it started to grow on me. 

The film is really clever and presents Santa Claus and the way he delivers his gifts around the world in a completely new light. A forgotten gift is what triggers Arthur (Santa's son) to go on a last minute quest to deliver it to a little girl before she wakes up. Lots of visual gags, lots of funny moments. My wife was in hysterics watching this movie. I didn't think it was that funny, but I was amused.

That about sums up my thoughts about this film: I was amused. It is not a great movie, but it could have been a lot worse. For the most part, I enjoyed it. 


#73

Talk about a blast from the past. I used to watch this movie religiously as a kid. I watched it multiple times a day, several days a week. The VHS tape I had eventually got destroyed by the VCR because of how often I would watch it.

Years passed before I saw the movie again. I think I saw it about 5 years ago or so. Now I watched it in 2015. This was a fun trip down memory lane. I had a good time watching it. It is about a cat who is swept away from his farm down a river, and his best friend (a dog) who comes to look for him. The main thing I kept thinking while watching this was "how did they get those animals to do that???" This must have taken a long time to film.

It is not the greatest movie known to mankind. It has lost a little bit of its luster now that I am not a kid anymore. I enjoyed myself though. I didn't go nuts over it, but I enjoyed it.

#72

Like the Little Mermaid, this is a movie that EVERYONE has seen but me. Again, I made it to 33 years of age without seeing a movie that many people consider a classic or a staple for anyone who enjoys movies.

Perhaps it was just because I was very late to the parade. But I wasn't amazed. Sure, it was a good way to pass the time. I certainly didn't hate the movie. The story is interesting, and all the bad things coming out of the Jumanji board were fun and exciting.

But it just seemed like a very basic film to me. It didn't grab me, I didn't think "wow this is special" or amazing, or anything like that. It was good, nice, fun movie. I liked it. But then I forgot about it and it was out of my mind by the next day.


#71

I love Back to the Future, so when I saw this documentary about it on Netflix I knew I would have to watch it. Its a good documentary, but nothing groundbreaking. There weren't a whole lot of facts about the movie that I didn't know. I've seen all the movies a million times and watched some of the DVD special features. So nothing said here shocked or surprised me.

Still though, there are worse ways to pass your time. I enjoyed it, even though it did become relegated to "background movie." It is a documentary so obviously it is very dialogue heavy. I had no problem listening and soaking it in while I did other things in the house. Was it a riveting film by any stretch of the imagination? No.

But I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment