Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Video Game Review: Uncharted 2

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Playstation 3


I had played this game when it first came out, but I hadn't really been that gung-ho about it. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't jumping out my seat like "Wooo! Uncharted 2!! Best game ever!" But I did enjoy it and considered it a good game. Just not a great one. Kinda forgettable.

I have no idea what I was thinking. Five years after playing this for the first time, I picked it up again to give it another shot. I probably wouldn't have played it again if it weren't for the fact that it came bundled with a PS3 that I got for Christmas a few years ago. It sat on the shelf for quite some time. And then I finally figured - hey let's check it out again and see if my opinion has changed.

And it definitely has changed. While I thought the game was okay back in 2010, I think it is absolutely fabulous now.

For those unfamiliar with Uncharted, this is a series of behind the back shooters where you play as Nate Drake, a descendant of famous explorer Francis Drake. You explore various locales looking for clues and following them to famous mythical treasures. Think Tomb Raider. Think Indiana Jones. This is kinda right in the middle.

Unlike Tomb Raider, this game is mainly action based. You can't really explore too far off the path you are supposed to take. Puzzles are few and far between. Mainly, expect to be shooting things. There are a few stealth areas thrown in for good measure. And there are some hidden treasures to discover.




The storyline for this game is really good. You actually jump into the action right away without any explanation of what is going on. You are hanging from a train dangling over the edge of a cliff, and must climb your way to the top. Mainly this is just to introduce you to the controls and get you accustomed to the way the game operates. When you reach the top, you get to walk around and explore a little. You learn how to use your gun. And then the game flashes back to tell you how you got here.

On vacation, you are approached by a man who wants you to partake in a heist with him. A mysterious employer wants him to break into some museum in Istanbul and steal an artifact. And he is here to enlist your help. Curious, Drake agrees.

The first portion of this heist is mainly stealth. Again, this is to introduce you to the cover mechanics and how you can avoid enemies or sneak up and kill them silently. I was a little bored by this area when I first played the game 5 years ago, but playing through it now I thought it was really well done. It's not drawn out, and it really gives you a feel of how the game works. The storyline is great, like I said, and really gets you interested in what is going to happen next. Without spoiling much, you do find the artifact you are sent in to steal, and you discover that there is a lot more to this heist than meets the eye. The artifact is just one clue in a long string of clues that lead to the mythical kingdom of Shambala.

Of course, there is a large faction of evil doers that are hot on your tail. They want to exploit this land to their own needs. Suffice it to say, there are lots of betrayals and intrigue along the way. People that you think are your friends turn out to be moles feeding info to the enemies, using you for their own personal gain.




The game plays out storywise like Indiana Jones, as I mentioned. Or the Davinci Code. Each clue you find leads to another area of the world where you must find another clue. You travel to locations like rainforests, populated cities engaged in civil war, and snowy mountains looking for the way to Shambala. The aforementioned bad guys seem to have an infinite amount of resources, and are constantly looking to take you out so they can solve the mystery their selves. Expect to battle hordes of enemy soldiers as you proceed on your quest.

The fighting in this game is actually a lot of fun.You would think it would get repetitive since you fight so much, but it doesn't. The locations are so varied, that nothing ever looks the same. The enemies are different. And you have a giant arsenal of weapons at your disposal. Throw in the climbing element, the stealth element, and the great story, and the game is just a blast.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention how beautiful this game's graphics were. This game is just stunning. It looks like it is a next generation title. I mean, it just looks awesome. Consider that this was made 5 years ago, and that it looks better than a lot of current titles. That's just very impressive. Levels are very well designed, the backdrops and settings are just jaw dropping and chock with detail. A lot of the effects like snow, rain, and running water look amazing too. The character models are great, and everything is very lifelike. Throw in some top notch voice acting and a great musical score - and this game technically is just fantastic.

As mentioned earlier in the review, I didn't think much of the game when I first played it. Maybe because I just rushed through it. I was drunk a lot back then, so that could be a contributing factor. But playing this game now, I was completely blown away.




Uncharted 2 really is the complete package. It's got a great story. The sound effects and voice acting are top line. The graphics look better than some PS4 games. And of course the thing that trumps all is that it is just flat out fun to play. I am trying to think of something I can say to criticize this game, and I just can't. Maybe it is too short?

If you've never played Uncharted before, I suggest playing them in order. Because that's just how I do things. But you actually don't need to have played the first game to enjoy this one. It is a completely separate story from the original. For example, you don't need to have seen Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom to watch and enjoy Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

If I had reviewed this after originally playing it, I would have likely graded it in the B range. Now, however, I can't think of anything else to give it but an A+. I feel lame giving two games in a row an A+. But there is nothing I can say about this game that is negative. I doubt anyone's even playing it anymore, but I didn't even touch multiplayer. I bet that added another whole element of fun to the title as well.

Uncharted 2 is just a really great game. It combines intense shooter action with the exploration and story telling of Indiana Jones or the Davinci Code. I was blown away. You need to play this game. It is amazing.

Overall:
A+

No comments:

Post a Comment