Monday, April 27, 2015

Video Game Review: Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Nintendo Gamecube


Before beginning with this review I must note that there are some key differences between this title and the original Metal Gear Solid. Usually when I review games with updated graphics, I will lump the 2 reviews into one. For example - Sly Cooper for the Playstation 2 would be the same thing as Sly Cooper HD that appears on the PS3. No need to do separate reviews when the games are so similar, right? I couldn't agree more. However, this game has so many differences that I must review it as a separate entity from Metal Gear Solid. This will be explained as we go along. So yes, at some point in the future Metal Gear Solid for the PS 1 will get its review. But right now this is all about the Twin Snakes.

The thing that is immediately notable about this game and how it is different from the original MGS is the graphics. Everything looks new and up to date. Gone are the ugly, blocky, pixelated graphics that make the other Metal Gear game look so dated. Environments are detailed, everything looks smooth. The characters have facial expressions. Visually, everything looks good here.

But in the process, the game loses some of the appeal that made the original feel so authentic. Sure everything looks clearer and cleaner here, but is this a good thing? Shadow Moses Island in the original MGS was very dark and mysterious. Whether it was due to the graphical look or not, it was just a very creepy and foreboding place. And I didn't get that same feeling here. Also, this title changes a lot of the music. As opposed to the subtle, haunting themes that play in the background in some areas, you get this weird kind of techno/rock hybrid that feels completely out of place and ruins the mood. This music plays in some cut scenes too. So the whole authenticity level of Twin Snakes takes a big hit. Not only with the cleaner look but with the music too.




This is a title that's meant to be dark and mysterious. The island is supposed to feel remote. The situation you are tossed into is supposed to be tense. The enemies are supposed to be scary. This game makes everything more like a Michael Bay action movie instead of a suspenseful one.

This difference is further accentuated by some of the changes made to the cut scenes. In an effort to add more excitement to the game (at least I can only guess that is what the creators were doing) there are some sequences where Snake goes full-Matrix and flips around in slow motion while things explode and bullets whiz around him. Maybe this would be okay if it only happened once or twice in the game. But it is very overused and starts to become eye rolling how they have to add this whenever there is an action cut scene. Aside from this, some of the fight scenes have been changed to be more extensive and intricate. Why they need to do this, I don't know. You do enough listening and watching in the game that the last thing we need is to watch some more. But it is what it is.

Another thing purists will hate is how they re-recorded the voices of the characters from the original MGS for Twin Snakes. Normally I would be okay with this - and for the most part the game is fine. But there are also parts where things seem a lot more forced. Or they lose some of their emotional impact. Maybe the out of place music in the background has something to do with it. Or maybe the voices aren't as good this time around. But it shows in parts. The Sniper Wolf death scene for example wasn't as good for me. Man tears were shed when I played this part on the PS1 back in the day. Now - no emotional reaction at all.




Comparing this title to Star Wars is a decent comparison. Characters, emotions, the story, everything seemed so authentic in A New Hope. Compare that to The Phantom Menace which is hokey, poorly acted, and too special-effect happy. It is like night and day. That's kind of the thing that happened to this game. It's not nearly as bad as the Phantom Menace, don't get me wrong, but it is the only comparison that comes immediately to mind.

Now that the negatives are out of the way, let's talk positives. There have been some changes to the gameplay. The game plays more like Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberties. Everything is easy to control. The first person perspective is a big help when sneaking up on and taking out enemies. The whole game was just very user friendly. In fact, the game seemed almost TOO easy at some points. I remember running into some troubles in the original MGS that I didn't run into here. For the most part I breezed through the game (although I found fighting the tank harder than usual for some reason).

None of the changes affect the fabulous story. The game plays pretty much the game. The areas are all where they should be. The boss fights are still intact. I prefer the rough grittiness of the original game. But if you have never played Metal Gear before, I can totally see newbies who didn't grow up with the original preferring this version.




I expected to rant and rave much longer about this game, but that's really about it. If you're a fan of the older version, you will probably have the same issues with this game that I had. But am I a fanatic who thinks this game is a disgrace that has utterly shamed the name of all that is Metal Gear? No. Like I say, if you haven't played the original you will likely find this game quite good. And then scoff at the original for looking so primitive and... well... old.

I could recap the story. I could explain how Metal Gear works. But that's for another review. Some day I will get around to reviewing the PS1 version of the game. But it will be a while. This game is similar enough to the original that now that I have finished it, I probably won't pick up the other one for a while now.

This is a good game. Is it as iconic as the original? No. I might actually sell off this version of the game since nothing will trump the original in my mind. Its kind of pointless for me to have this when I know there is a superior version out there at my fingertips. But despite all the changes it is still a solid title. If I didn't have the older version - or if I had never played it before, I would probably be raving about the Twin Snakes. But for now it will have to accept that it is just "good" in my mind.


Overall:
B

No comments:

Post a Comment