Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Video Game Review #114: God of War

God of War
PlayStation 2


Back in 2005 I was dating a girl named Jessica. It was a good match at the time because we both shared a strong love for video games. As a result we always knew exactly what to get each other for birthday or Christmas gifts. That year I asked for God of War for Christmas. The game had been released way earlier in the year, but I had still yet to play it. All of the reviews said that it was a fantastic game. I even remember seeing a few perfect reviews out there. I figured hey why not give it a shot?

Despite all the rave reviews I still came in a little hesitant. At that time in my life I was a gamer who mainly stuck to franchises that I knew or was very familiar with. Sonic, Mario, Final Fantasy, etc. I was a boring fuck, I know. I didn't even know what kind of game it was or what it was about. But obviously I had asked for it so I was willing to give it a shot.




Right from the start I was blown away by God of War. The setting, the graphics, the cut scenes, the booming soundtrack, the in your face violence. The character of Kratos intrigued me too. Antiheroes are nothing new these days, but back then they were for the most part unheard of. A good guy who did bad things? Whaaat? I played God of War for hours on end, completely immersing myself in the game. I don't know how long it took me to beat the game. I am guessing less than a week, probably. But still it left a huge impression on me. I played this game several times. I went out and got a couple of the numbered sequels when they came out. I was a big fan.

Whenever the holiday season rolls around each year, I always get it in my head that I should play God of War again. I probably associate the game with this time of year in my head because I had initially gotten it as a Christmas present twelve years ago. The past few years I've passed on the opportunity to play the game. This year, however, the urge was too strong. I had to play it.




Even though the game is twelve years old I still think it has aged pretty well. Of course the graphics aren't as crisp as the graphics everyone is used to seeing by today's standards, but they are still pretty good. The animations are smooth. The levels are (for the most part) pretty varied and detailed. I have no complaints about the game's visual style.

The music still shines strong after all these years too. The booming, intense score lends itself well to this game. It really puts you into the mood to be a badass and kick some major butt. The game can be quiet and subdued when it needs to be as well. One of my favorite areas in the game is when you have to wander through a sandstorm with limited visibility. You instead have to rely on your ears, listening for the song of the sirens to guide you to your foes.




The overall presentation of the game is very well done. Graphics, music, the whole nine yards. God of War has a very cinematic feel to it that is still very exciting to this day. Cut scenes tell the story of the game as you play. At the beginning of the game you know very little. Just that you are a character named Kratos, a mercenary of sorts who is commanded by the gods. Your first mission is to destroy the evil Hydra that has been annihilating supply ships at sea.

After you destroy the Hydra, Kratos begs Athena to release him from the gods' control. He is informed that he has one last mission in store for him. The god of war Ares has attacked Athens. Since the gods can't attack directly attack each other, Athena tasks Kratos with the job of finding Pandora's Box. When opened, this box will give Kratos the power he needs to kill a god and take down Ares once and for all. Thus begins your real quest in this game.




Basic combat is pretty simple to get a grasp of. You mainly use four buttons. You can jump, grab, do a weak attack, or do a strong attack. Of course, different button combinations will produce different results. As the game progresses, you earn orbs that you can use to level your character up. This helps you learn new attack combinations to aid you on your journey.

Kratos also is gifted with magical powers from the gods as he progresses through the game. You can turn your enemies to stone, you can fire arrows from a magical bow to hit enemies from a long distance, you can evoke a magical electric attack which hits enemies in your immediate vicinity, and you can summon lost souls to swirl around the screen and do damage your enemies. As I played, I found the electrical attack to be the most effective.

You can also gain additional weapons as you play, but I found myself sticking to the original chains given to you at the beginning of the game. They are the most effective in my opinion.




Gameplay is mainly of the hack and slash variety. One of the big complaints I hear about the series is that it can be a little repetitive with all the button mashing. I didn't necessarily think so, but I could see why people might think that. God of War throws quick time action events in every so often to keep things fresh. Mainly these are triggered when an enemy is close to death. I didn't think any of them were too difficult, but it did make it hard to appreciate the gruesome animations as you killed your enemies when you are too busy looking for which button to hit next.

In addition to copious amounts of combat, the game throws puzzles at you too. Nothing too difficult to figure out. Collect the keys. Move this block over here. Turn these cranks to open up a new part of the stage. That type of thing. Don't expect to get stuck too often, if at all, when playing this game.




The game's settings are a high point. The ship at sea when you are battling the Hydra is a great set piece. So is Athens. So is the desert. So is Pandora's Temple. So is Hades. Especially Hades. All of the screaming bodies falling from the sky into the lake of fire around you is a nice touch. The game definitely creates an immersive atmosphere for you as you make your way through it.

God of War isn't too difficult, nor is it too long. There are a few tough battles towards the end of the game, but a little trial and error and a little patience will go a long way. The final battle with Ares, for example, made me want to chuck my controller through the wall. But once I discovered his pattern and figured out how to block his attacks, I quickly was able to take him down and complete the game.




This game is a ton of fun. Some people say it is too much of a button masher. Fine. Some hate the quick time events. Fine. Some say the puzzles are too easy. Fine. The game is what it is. It's an immersive, whirlwind journey filled with boat loads of violence, a great sweeping musical score, and a surprisingly effective story. It is not a perfect game, but it is one I enjoy a lot and like to come back to every few years or so.

Most people know that I have a really short attention span regarding video games, yet immediately after playing this I wanted to dive right into God of War II. That does not happen much. It speaks a true testament as to how much I really enjoyed this game. I would for sure recommend this series to anyone who has never played it before.


Overall:
A-


No comments:

Post a Comment