Saturday, February 14, 2015

Video Game Review: Solar Eclipse

Solar Eclipse
Sega Saturn


When you think of classic releases for the Sega Saturn, most likely you will think of games like Daytona USA, Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighter, Nights Into Dreams, so on and so forth. Even the critically panned Sonic R would likely come to mind before Solar Eclipse. But that's you. This is me. Solar Eclipse is a highly underrated title, and is one of my favorite games for the Saturn.

I first became aware of this title through advertisements in video game magazines. I was still playing the Sega Genesis at this point, and I didn't think much of the game. A big deal was made out of Claudia Christian starring in the game, yet I had never seen Babylon 5, so I could not have cared less. However, being a child of the Genesis, I was intrigued by the screenshots of the FMV sequences in general. The fact that this could actually be done on a video game system was mind blowing to a lot of people back then. I know it sounds silly now.

I had never been big on aerial combat titles. I had played a little Star Fox, and mildly enjoyed it. The X-Wing and Tie Fighter games for the PC, I enjoyed however. But my interest was piqued in the genre when my stepbrother rented a PlayStation for the weekend, and had checked out Warhawk as one of the titles that came with it. We played the crap out of that game, and although we never finished it, it definitely made a game like Solar Eclipse seem more appealing to me. Shortly after that, I played a Wing Commander game for 3DO at a game store - and I was impressed.




The Sega Genesis' life span was at its end, and it was time for me to get a new console. Being a huge Sonic fan and a Sega loyalist, I decided on a Sega Saturn. Truly a horrible decision, but at least I got to play a bunch of games that no one else likely has had the chance to play. Solar Eclipse was one of them.

My dad and step mom took me to go get a console, which I had saved up birthday and allowance money for. They also bought me a new TV for my room, since I had let my brother's girlfriend stay in my room for a few weeks after she got kicked out of her house by her parents. Seemed like a fair reward for having to sleep with my brother in his room every night.

Of course I couldn't just buy a console, and not have any games to play with it. The cheapest game they had there was Solar Eclipse, which was only like 20 bucks. So despite not knowing much about it, I got it. I had liked those Star Wars shooters, plus I had enjoyed Warhawk and Wing Commander (from my brief experience testing it out) so I figured why not. I suddenly had high hopes for a game that I had never given much thought to before. So yup, of all the titles out there, Solar Eclipse was my first Saturn game.

I actually had some frustration setting the Saturn up. I couldn't figure out that you had to change the input when using the red/white/yellow connectors. Up to this point, with my older systems, you simply used the regular cable and put it on channel three. After so much of a wait and build up, I could not get my Saturn to work. It was excruciating. I futzed with it all night, while watching episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation on TV.

Somehow, after several long hours, it finally clicked and I got it to work. Without hesitation, I fired up Solar Eclipse.




Before actually even playing the game, I was impressed. Before the title screen, there was a short FMV introduction, which blew me away. I finally had a video game system of my very own capable of such a feat. Amazing! Also, on the game's menu there was a video you could watch that contained a preview of other games for the Sega Saturn. Again, mind blowing for its time. I used to watch that video over and over again repeatedly, and showed it to everyone who would watch.

On to the actual game. The closest comparison I had in my mind was Star Fox. There was no turning around or exploring like in titles such as Warhawk. You were on a track, and despite multiple paths you could take, it was pretty much a linear game where you were always moving forward. Teammates chattered in your ear as you gunned down an endless supply of enemies. You collected items, collected upgrades, you fought bosses. Pretty standard fair.

The thing that stood out to me was its story line. The game had an incredibly deep and mysterious story. There was a large cast of characters, each with their own unique style and personality. To make a long story short, you basically were investigating an incident that wiped out a colony on one of Saturn's moons. You get attacked by what you think are colonists, but turn out to be an intelligent network system that is intent on destroying humanity.

If you were to look at the game's graphics now, you would think they are chunky, flat, and pixelated. But for 1996, they were groundbreaking. The sound was great as well, with a nice musical score and decently acted voices coming through.




This game engaged me so much, I didn't put it down for weeks. The story kept me going, the game play was fun, and technologically it was so advanced I was head over heels in love with it.

Although the game is set on a track like Star Fox, there are multiple routes you can go. Nothing that affects the story line or the progression of the game, but enough to add depth to each play through. Also, there are an abundant number of secret stages and bonus levels in the game, which you can only discover by truly fully exploring each level. Each stage also has its own unique look and feel. The bosses at the end of each stage are also unique, and present an actual challenge you must face before moving on to the next level. Some of them are truly difficult, they aren't just there for show.

I couldn't have asked for a better first game for Sega Saturn. It is truly a travesty that I have yet to encounter a single person who has played this game. It is a classic and I would just love to nerd out reminiscing with someone over special memories this game holds. It controls great and it is challenging - but not so hard that you want to give up. Technically it was advanced for its time. The story really keeps you going. The cast is wonderful. There are many secrets and things to uncover as you play. And each time you complete the game you notice something you never have before. Really a well made game.

I really wish I could get people to play this game, but seeing how defunct the Saturn is, and how difficult this title probably is to find, it is a lost cause. However, its legacy will live on in my eyes forever.


Overall: 
A

No comments:

Post a Comment